BootsnAll Travel Network



Last Hurdles

I’m brushing spiders out of my hair while writing this, and the bits of bark that have fallen into my collar and lodged themselves in my bra straps are itching.

Time for a bath. Time to put on the washing machine again, because of course the workmen would wait until the day before we’re going on holiday (and an entire year before that) to call around to fix the holes in the fences on either side of the garden, which the storm tore sometime in the spring of 2007.

Meanwhile the garden has grown into a jungle, fed by the daily rains, and I have scratches on my hands from clawing vegetation away from the rickety back door (we lost our gardening paraphernalia after the flood last June).

But at least we now have new carpets! The man finished laying them last week, and since then we have only set foot downstairs with socks on.

Cue the outdoor men with their muddy boots.

Anyway, tomorrow we shall be away and I couldn’t care less about what is going on in Tadley or with the house. But until then it seems that a thousand little things need my attention.

I finally have a printout of my 1/3rd revised novel, and I was going to spend some time on plot development while on holiday, but since last week at least two other novel excerpts have landed in my inbox, demanding critiquing for the writers’ group workshop that happens while we’re away. Grrr. I think we should have a word limit for workshops.

Reading doc files on screen makes my eyes bleed, not to mention doing it on the little EeePC—so that’ll be more printouts to lug along.

Further to our travels: in the joyful anticipation of experiencing Greek Orthodox Easter in Crete I have forgotten about the six weeks of Lent that precede it. If memories from boarding school are anything to go by, meat, cheese and other delicacies are off the menu during that time—except that Greek Orthodox Lent is a good deal stricter than the Catholic version.

I may have to revise our taverna plans during the first ten days of our holiday—in fact I may well have to sneak foodstuff into our self catering kitchen—whereas during the final Easter Weekend I expect those establishments to remain closed.

Oh well, there’s always Macca’s.

Tags: , , , , , , ,



Comments are closed.