BootsnAll Travel Network



Greenland: planning progress

Would you go to Greenland for a thousand quid? Even if the trip is only ten days long—perhaps as little as one week, plus a few days in Copenhagen on the way there or back? And with no tobacco run? (Although there may be access to duty-free shopping. Greenland is part of Denmark, but special rules may apply.)

Hell, yes.

I have been in touch with the friendly sales people at the Arctic Umiaq Line which from this summer also fly twice weekly from Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq, and on. These people offer regular ferry trips along Greenland’s west- and south coast, including the area around Aasiaat where the whales come close to shore in late summer and autum. They offer special ‘r�d pris’ tickets which means I could get a return flight from Copenhagen for around 300 quid. That puts Greenland within my budget. But only just. The ferry round-trip to Uumannaq will cost about 400 quid (seat only) and I have to add on flights from London to Copenhagen and overnight stays. I might stay over at Ilulissat—the stop before Uumannaq—to save a few pennies pounds. There is a hostel there, and there is also one in Kangerlussuaq which I did not know about. As both may be fully booked, bringing a tent is a must.

Greenland here we come!

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.