BootsnAll Travel Network



Greek Salad and Moussaka

With the Olympics comes Food Fit for the Gods. Two weeks of Greek eats which I will review here as I get along. For the most comprehensive Greek recipe site on-line go to: greek-recipe.com. However, the recipes below are based on my tried and trusted “Greek-style Cookery” from the Australian Women’s Weekly Home Library.

Greek Salad
The quality of this salad depends primarily on the cucumbrers, tomatoes and grade of olive oil. While extra virgin olive oil is now availabkle just about everywhere (even in Ard), cucumbers and tomatoes are a different matter. If you live in London, you are in luck. Pick up some of the small and often deformed cucumbers you find loose on the local markets or displays of the Turkish or Cypriot neighbourhood delis. Tomatoes on the vine should be red and plump and if you sniff at them should smell of freshly cut hay and summer sun — this smell is given off by the vine and not the fruit itself. Nothing that is pre-packed in plastic bags comes close to the real thing.
— Of course, if you live around the Meditarrenean, you are even more in luck.

250g Feta cheese; 5 tomatoes; 1 large red onion; 2 small cucumbers; 150g black olives

125 ml extra virgin olive oil; 50 ml white wine vinegar; 1 clove garlic, crushed with salt; freshly ground black pepper; good pinch of fresh oregano, thyme or flat-leaf parsley

De-seed and chop the tomatoes, slice the onion, thickly slice the cucumber and halve the olives. Mix all the dressing ingredients and toss with the veg. Layer with the scattered Feta cheese (can be folded in gently, but some brands of Feta seem to practically dissolve leaving ugly white streaks).

Moussaka
Propper Moussaka is made with aubergines and minced lamb. I occasionally replace some of the meat with cubed par-boiled potatoes for a lighter version and add some pre-fried mushrooms, but here is the original:

2-3 Aubergines (about 1.2 kg); salt; 50ml light olive oil
Cut aubergines into ca. 5 mm thick slices, sprinkle with salt, stand for 30min and rinse. Pat dry. This is optional but means they’ll absorb less oil during frying. Brush with oil and grill or fry until browned on both sides. Set aside.

1 TB light olive oil; 1 large onion; 2 cloves garlic; 1 kg minced lamb; can tomatoes; 2 TB tomato paste; 1 glass red wine; 2 TB chopped parsley; pinch cinnamon; good pinch sugar; salt & pepper
Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic with salt. Sweat the onion until transparent, add garlic and fry until it smells aromatic but does not colour. Add mince and stir until mince is browned. Add tomatoes, wine, herbs and spices and simmer 30 min. Taste and adjust seasoning. Mixture should be dry, reduce if necessary.

125g butter; 100g flour; 1 l milk; 40g grated cheese (parmesan or mature cheddar — yeah, I know it’s a fusion element); 2 eggs
This is to make a thick bechamel sauce. Any less flour and the aubergine may float! Make a roux by melting the butter, stirring in the flour and let it bubble. Gradually stir in the milk, whisking vigourously to get rid of any lumps and adding more just before it sticks. Keep stirring until mixture boils up and thickens. Remove from heat, stir in cheese and cool until you can just about touch it. Then mix in the beaten eggs.

The great final assembly: Butter a 2.5 l dish, line with one third of the aubergine, top with half the meat sauce, add another layer of aubergine, the remaining meat, the last of the aubergine and top with the cheese sauce.

20g grated cheese; good pinch nutmeg
Sprinkle on top and bake 180° C 45 min or until browned.

Serve with fresh bread and salad.

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.