BootsnAll Travel Network



Eye Books Traveler’s Tales

I am slowly coming to my senses. In my hand, I am holding a fat padded envelope John has brought with him when he came to pick me up. I have been waiting for this little package.

EYE BOOKS run an annual travel writing competition. People can register and submit their stories of up to 1000 words at any time. I found out about this purely by accident, picking up one of their former compilations at the local Oxfam shop and thought why not give it a go?

So last March, I sent in an excerpt from my “Whales of Trincomalee” travelogue: OASIS OF PEACE and have now received a copy of the compilation in which it appeared plus a return flight voucher to one of several European cities. Not bad, eh?

I think I might be off to Málaga which is near Gibraltar, a bottleneck for dolphins. On the other hand, I must state three destinations, hhmmm… Maybe just nip to Amsterdam for more cheap tobacco and salty liqourice. Or tapas in Barcelona? I mean, it’s free! And it is valid until March next year, a sure way of beating the winter gloom.

So far this is the best thing that has happened to me in travel writing. It sure beats being rejected by some editor for a 20$ feature in a run-down print rag.

A number of authors in this year’s compilation are familiar to me from the internet and a few have had two or even three stories published in this year’s compilation. So why not go for it? The best entry every year wins a flight to anywhere in the world! I can think of at least half a dozen contributors to the BootsNall travel articles who’ll stand a chance of winning that!

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.