BootsnAll Travel Network



Budgeting

View from Main Street

I have made a deal with myself that I must eat or go back on the Amitriptyline. I don’t want to. That stuff makes me tired and I don’t want to lose any of my golden days, plus there would have to be a serious cutting-back on the rum & coke ;). But I didn’t relish the thought of dinner: a can of mackerel in tomato sauce and a bag of Nut King’s Original Corn Curls.

The corn curls weren’t too bad, but I swear the mackerel had shit floating in it. Mackerel shit to be sure, but shit all the same.

I’d worked out my daily budget before buying those dinner items, right up until the last week when I might travel around Trinidad and spend a little more. It comes to 36$ US a day. It used to be 48, but then the pound went down and it is still going down. The bank exchange rate for the US dollar is more-or-less fixed at 1 to 6, so that is no help at all.

Up until now I have more-or-less spent 50$ US a day, but when I came to Scarborough, I started to match the budget (32 dollars today, with two meals. Lunch was a tuna salad). I have to be careful.

Peanut butter, coconut water, tuna, mayo. The bill came to 68 dollars. Ouch. But I must eat.

On my way to the shops I saw a kite soaring into the electric blue sky. On my way back a car hooted and made me jump. The drivers all hoot here, either in greeting or because they’re looking for fares. Most seem to be moonlighting as route taxis, and the fare is always three dollars. If only we had such a system in London.

More tomorrow. I’m taking things easy for a few days. But I’m thinking of going to Sunday School in Bucco after all. Carlos is nice enough, I was just being too guarded (but that has always served me well).

Tags: , ,



Comments are closed.