BootsnAll Travel Network



Voyeur/Voyee

coadai.jpgTraveling has presented a strange dichotomy of existence. Let’s take today’s events for an example: The visit to the Cao Dia temple. From our balcony perch about 100 tourists observed a few hundred Cao Dia devotees going through their noon rituals at their temple. Camera flashes strobed the service, and for some reason a lot of French and German tourists seemed oblivious that their loud talking just might be inappropriate considering that a religious service was taken place just below us all. “They” – the locals were on display much like they were in some human zoo as if from a Kurt Vonnegut novel.

Then it was our turn. Our bus stopped at a local restaurant – the temple is located in a small town some 2 hours out of Saigon. Almost immediately, about a half-dozen kids were peering through the cement lattice that separated the street from the diners. They called out to us in English and were very teasing in their attitude and remarks. We were the animals in the zoo.

And since I’m 6’4” with longish blond hair, it seems I am always on display – at least here in SE Asia. Singapore was an exception, while I still sort of stood out, the city is so business-like, I was mostly ignored.



Tags:

One Response to “Voyeur/Voyee”

  1. Sara Says:

    Great updates! Hope you have a few great days of relaxation! You’re missing lots of cold weather, some wind, very little skiing and some ice skating. Soak up the sun! S

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply