BootsnAll Travel Network



Nenana WW Festival

So – let’s begin with today.

On the 13th, we headed to the white water kayak festival on the Nenana River up by Denali Park. (In the picture from intro post), I am on 6Mile Creek near Hope, AK.

And now just back from Glitter Gultch outside of Denali park and the 30th annual ww kayak festival run by the Fairbanks kayak club. Tom and I are the only kayakers from the Peninsula (some rafters from kenai showed up). We set the standard as we finished DFL (Tom was next to last) in the downriver race. The waves at roostertail were (no kidding) 7′. Much fun. The rodeo was at twin rocks – but only 6 local kids challenged the hole which spanked each and everyone of them. Some good surfs and spins were there – but not much else.

On Friday, we did a run down Riley Creek starting in Denali Park – a fun ride and continuous class III creek flow. Pure fun without consequence. It put us out on the Nenana just above the Jones Bridge – and into Anderson(?) bend – some big holes and waves. Later that day we put in 10 miles upstream on the Nenana and did that run back down to the Jones Bridge in 4 hours – just fun and more of it the whole way – some big holes and pourovers – but they were all by choice.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply