BootsnAll Travel Network



Ha Long Bay/Ca Ba Island

halong.jpgI’ve just returned from a 3 day visit to one of the more spectacular places I’ve seen so far – Ha Long Bay.

On the first day, I boarded a boat (a junk-style house boat) and we set out for the bay. We had dinner on the boat and anchored up and spent the night afloat. Despite the cool weather we also went for swim.

I kinda like the age that I’m at. I’m still young enough to jump off of the top deck of the junk – some 25′ above the water (when two 21-year-old Aussie girls did it, there was no way I was not going to jump); but sensible enough to be the first one out of the bay and into the showers while the water was still hot.

The next day we went to Ca Ba Island.

This place has been the first place on the trip that I could envision spending some serious time at. Most of the region is a national park, although there are numerous floating villages in many of the bays and coves.

There would be great sea kayaking, mountain biking, hiking and climbing, and since the islands are mostly limestone, there would be great caving. I got to explore 2 large caverns.

I also had the best meal of the trip on Ca Ba – a seafood cake with a lemon and garlic sauce with crab spring rolls.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply