BootsnAll Travel Network



Barrow Bits

wbone.jpg
I’ve been up here for over two weeks and, sad to say, I’ve pretty much seen everything in town – and it’s a bit of a stretch to say that many of these sights are special. The whale-bone arch in the above photo I suppose is the quintessential shot of this place. Outside of most every public building there are bones of whales – whaling is an important subsistence activity here. Most hunts are usually in the spring, but there are fall hunts, so I hope to see one in progress – or at least be around when they bring one in.

cruise.jpgOne doesn’t think of Barrow and the Arctic coast as a cruise ship destination, but this ship sailed to town last weekend. It originated in Greenland and was heading to Cold Bay on the Alaska Peninsula – a tour of the Northwest Passage. I chatted with a few of passengers. Most all were rich and retired Germans or Scandinavians and were all interested in this part of the world. Bleak and beautifully desolate were the most-often heard descriptors of their voyage.

court.jpg
I suppose one’s right to a speedy trial is important way up north – wouldn’t want to have any frozen assets or anything.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply