BootsnAll Travel Network



Badu Island

badusset.jpg
David, Julie, and I have been camping on Gao Buth (Gao Beach) for the last 4 days. It’s a stunningly beautiful place. It’s mostly a sheltered bay that is rimmed by a horseshoe arc of golden sand lined with postcard-perfect palm trees. A few islanders have holiday homes out here, but it’s spring break and we are the only ones around during the day. Some former teachers who are on the island visiting have been out to have a drink and watch the sunset a couple of evenings…

We’ve been fishing a bit and have caught (and released) sharks and barracuda. We’ve kept and eaten blue coral trout, snapper, cod, and several other species. Pics to follow soon. I’ve seen crocs, jumping rays, and several types of sharks – including a huge hammerhead that came up to the beach just after we went out for a swim. Pics to follow soon.

Here’s a couple of shots from Badu – some local kids (hope you can read their t-shirts), and some aboriginal dancers who came to the island to give workshops at the school.baduts.jpgbadudance2.jpg



Tags: , , ,

One Response to “Badu Island”

  1. Sara Says:

    Hey, Badu sounds like the place to be! It’s just spring now, so what’s the temp? Are you snorkeling?
    We’re waiting on snow. It’s at 3000′ now, but temps are too warm to get much lower. We walked through a few inches of it at the top of Skyline.
    S

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    The weaher here is in the 80s and 90s…water temps are around 77-80. The wind has blown hard 20+ knots everyday.

    We went skin diving for crayfish (lobster-sized) yesterday and today – after an hour in the water, I was cold…I was suprised!

    Dave got 3 crays – I missed both I tried to spear. But we have tea tonight!

  4. Posted from Australia Australia

Leave a Reply