BootsnAll Travel Network



Sept. 3 – NV

Day 33 – The night of the burn. We joined Frogma for the night of the burn and ventured out on the playa early to find a good spot so that we could watch the fire dancers and get a good view of the man in all of his splendor. Slowly people started gathering and making a ring around the man. The art cars or mutant vehicles also made an outer ring around the crowd that gathered. The mutant vehicles were cars, vans, or buses that were created into art by decoration, sculpture work, and just pure artistic inventions that could move.

The event was signaled with a single flare shooting up into the air… giving people about 20 minutes warning that they were going to start. It would have been pitch black out on the playa but this city is anything but dark. It looks better than New York City with all the lights that decorate the camps, art cars, and people. Everyone wears neon glowing bracelets and necklaces all over their clothes and bikes so that people can see each other at night as they ride around town.

The fire dancers preformed for a good 30 minutes before the burn, the ones in front of us were not as talented as the Utah group – but they did pull out an unexpected surprise, a fire playing tuba – it was pretty cool. Than, the fire works went off (they were located out of the mans arms and around the base) and gave a brilliant show at the end creating the big fire that burned the man. Everyone was so excited and cheering and jumping around. Except for the protesters that each year carry around signs that say ‘save the man’ 😉 The fire was the brightest white I have ever seen, and once the man fully burned down everyone rushes towards it and runs in a circle around him, along with throwing things into the fire to burn. After the burn we walked around and looked at all the fire sculptures and art that was scattering in the playa, and enjoyed a good night out with Frogma.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.