BootsnAll Travel Network



Oct. 8/9 – WA, Shelton

Day 68/69 – This Saturday was swap meet day at S.O.C.K. (Save Our County’s Kids) and we went down to help dad and Sue set up a table for SOCK. They hold a swap meet once a month on the second Saturday; we arrived just in time. SOCK is a non-profit youth center in Shelton to help at risk kids in the community, which Sue founded 8 years ago. They just received a mentoring grant to help them continue their programs and expand, but now they need to match the grant in fundraising – if you are interested in helping them out with a contribution you can find out more information from their website www.sock.org or email at sock@sock.org.

While we were at the swap meet, we did a bit of browsing for vans on the internet in their computer lab. We decided to start looking at VW Vanagons again and found a couple down in Portland that sounded pretty good. Dad let us borrow his car, again, to go check out those few vans in Portland and see if they were any good. The one that really drew us down there turned out to be pretty good and there was a lot of other people interested in it. The sellers would only take cash and since it was Saturday evening no banks were open and all the western unions were closed. The only other source would be our atm cards, but they have a theft protection on them and we can only withdrawal a limited amount of money per day. So, we had to say good bye to the van and if it was still available Monday morning we’d come down and buy it. We did so much running around and it seemed way too complicated for a van; it just didn’t feel right – if it was supposed to be our van, it would work out.

The next day we went to downtown Shelton to help my dad set up his Spiritual Cinema that he runs the second Sunday of every month. It was fun to help set up a mini-theater for people to come and enjoy. We made popcorn and served beverages, it was the works. We watched two movies a short film (that didn’t really impress Jason or I) and a documentary of Ramdass called “Fierce Grace”; it was very interesting to learn about his life and a group of people from that generation.

Bob setting up Spiritual Cinema and Us helping set up the table for the swap meet — I think Jason bought the tiger costume for Halloween.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.