BootsnAll Travel Network



Jan. 20/21 – Guatemala

Day 172/173 – Last day of school 🙁 we had a choice of staying at the school and studying or going with our teacher to the Mercado de San Francisco El Alto. All the students chose to go to the market and we took a chicken bus up there. A chicken bus is an economical way of getting around the area. They are like school buses in the States, but elaborately decorated outside and some inside. They are also the main transportation for the farming community, so you can often find chickens, pigs, dogs, etc on them – we like them a lot.


Chicken bus.. the outside of the buses are best though, we´ll try and get a pic later.

San Francisco El Alto is a big town up on the mountain top outside of Xela. This is where many manufactures for clothing that we buy in the States (ex. Levis, Puma, CAT shoes…) are located, and in the mercado the clothing is sold at very good prices. This mercado is huge and has sections for each product type.

__
This is the area near the livestock and animal vendors.

We visited the livestock and animal area, clothing (traditional and modern), produce, household items, fabric, and food stalls. It was so interesting to see anything you could ever need, right within reach. Friday is when the market is the biggest, and buses are constantly going to and from San Francisco El Alto, carrying locals to buy their goods.

__
Another area near the church, consisting of miscellaneous items for the house, and clothing

It is sad to leave the school. We both understand a lot more Spanish than we did when we started. It was so great to meet everyone there and get to know them better. They were all so warm and we had great conversations.


Thanks everyone, it was a great time!!



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.