BootsnAll Travel Network



Aug 8 – NC

Day Seven – We decided to get our best experience at the Merchant’s Millpond State Park and rented a canoe from the state park to paddle around for an hour in the water-forest of cypress trees. It was an amazing and mystical experience to drift smoothly through trees and friendly dragonflies, and for some reason no mosquitoes. Definitely recommended it you are given the chance. So far, that was one of the best parts of our current traveling.

cypress forest

Outerbanks here we come. We drove our way into the Cape Hatteras National Seashore along the northern coast of North Carolina. Along the way we visited the Wright Brother’s Memorial, which was worth seeing. It is really great to be reminded how two people, when they really put their mind to something, can accomplish so much and even change the world just with their ideas and determination. We stayed at the Frisco Campground (really nice!) and had a perfect dinner that night. It was made from a bunch produce we bought from a roadside stand and threw together in the frying pan with some garlic and cheese. The air was warm (but not humid) with a bit of wind, no misquotes, and a relaxing atmosphere as the sun started to hide behind the horizon. Than, right as dusk set, we quickly found out why everyone else was in there netted picnic table rooms. The mosquitoes slowly came out, clinging on to our arm hairs as they were blown by us in the wind. These suckers were viscous and their needle mouths were very painful. We quickly tried to clean up from dinner (not having bug repellant, since earlier it seemed that the wind would keep them a bay, made us work extremely fast) and much to our surprise, right at full darkness they brought out the troops and punctured very vein of blood warm and flesh that was available.

During the middle of the night, besides waking up scratching my war wounds, an intense thunderstorm rolled off the coast and into islands. It sounded as if the thunder would flatten everything down as a train does when running over a penny. We stayed nice and dry in our tent with our extra tarp over the top – I just wish we could have watched the lightening. It sounded amazing and made me feel like a kid again jumping at the sound of the thunder.

Master Jedi (aka The Tortoise, not referring to his speed but his hardshell and cleverness!) & April at the beach campsite



Tags:

3 responses to “Aug 8 – NC”

  1. Aunt Diane Van Volkenburg says:

    Just found your website, and read every word. That is really neat of you guys to share your trip with all of us. We love you both, and wish you lots of fun times and saftey. Our Address is: Don and Diane Van Volkenburg
    11706 North Lakeshore Drive
    Lake Stevens WA 98258

    415-334-2273
    Cell: 425-319-6411

    The boys are so excited for you guys. They want a postcard too. Christian is an Atlas expert and will be very interested in reading your journal.

    Love to you, and look forward to hearing from you again.

  2. Susan and Steve Andrews says:

    Hi Jason and April,

    I hope you remember us. We are Ryan’s parents. Ryan came over last night and shared your news and your website location. We will visit often and will love hearing about your travels. Stay safe and have fun.

    Susan and Steve

  3. Your Mom says:

    Hi, These pictures take my breath away- how incrediable.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.