BootsnAll Travel Network



WHY I LOVE JAPAN(AND THE JAPANESE)

So on to Japan, the finale to our round the world trip and somewhere that we were both looking forward to for a long time. Of course the cliches about the Japanese are many, but I expected that like many places we have been, the culture would have strong influences from the Western world and English would be virtually everywhere. How unique can a culture be that is so engaged in the world, has a strong democracy, and has been prosperous for nearly a century, with a 2000 year history all containing evidence of advanced civilizations. But it`s not the same here…as the most striking thing about Japan so far is the fact that it is SO Japanese. What I mean is that the culture is really different.

Japan 010
STREET LIFE IN OSAKA…DOGS, BIKES, AND FASHION

So many places are emulating the “West”, but Japan plays by its own rules, its own music, food, and most significantly, its very distinct rules of social engagement. And the level of English is quite limited in places. It was a bit shocking at first, but starts to make more sense as we start to understand a bit of the Japanese mindset. They are a great civilization and don’t really need all the outside help that other countries do to succeed. Not that they won’t help as they are incredibly generous. But they don’t have to. Oh, and yes, they are some of the nicest and kindest people you will ever meet. Cheryl wants to adopt about half the Country and take them home with us. “Adorable, she says constantly” And they are.

So why do I love the Japanese (so far)….

1) THE CITIES…..Tokyo (and even Osaka) are stupendous achievements in human development. How 35 million people can live in a metropolitan area with little poverty, crime, or open space is a testament to their engineers, planners, but mostly, to a culture that puts the greater good above individual glory. It’s the only way it could work. The lights, streets, and scene in Tokyo is as amazing as I expected, but the most amazing thing to me was that it was such a pleasant city in places. It actually has an intimate feel on many of the streets and wonderful back alleys that are crammed with restaurants, shops, and a million other uses up to 10 floors (not to mention the thousands of high rises). It also is very human scaled and a delight to walk around as a pedestrian.

Tokyo 066
CHERYL IN THE GINZA DISTRICT..NOTICE THE LACK OF CARS

Clearly the easy and free movement of people on their feet has been thought out at every corner, since 99% of the people walk a lot every day to get to and from the trains and subways and everywhere they are going. China needs to study Tokyo a bit more as it overdevelops its cities.

2) THE ORDER….The Japanese are patient. Everyone stands left on the escalators…..the train station platforms have marked lines and people actually wait for everyone to get off the trains before boarding. Respect for elders is a given. Cars wait for all pedestrians to cross a crosswalk, and there is almost no jaywalking (except for us).

Tokyo 052
WALKERS ON THE RIGHT AND BIKES TO THE LEFT, PLEASE!

You can leave your bag and wallet on a table to save it and walk away…and it will be there when you return. We see people do this everywhere. Travelling alone on the train and want to go to the bathroom..just leave all your stuff and no worries. This really takes a lot of stress out of travelling here.

3) TRANSPORTATION Bicycles are used everywhere in every city and get the respect of all as they are a basic part of the transportation system. The old and the young ride side by side and everywhere, and there is no need for the helmets and gear that people think is required to safely ride a bike at 8 mph down a separated cyclepath or lane.

Tokyo intersection
ORDER OUT OF CHAOS….ALWAYS

The trains are a joy to ride…always on time, comfortable, and the Shinkansen bullet trains get you from one end of the country to the other in hours at 250-300 kph. The shinkansen system just makes us cringe that the US hasn’t made any effort to build similar systems to link major cities in California, Texas, Florida, the Northeast (Acela?)

Japan 004
TOHOKU SHINKANSEN….GREATEST TRAIN SYSTEM IN THE WORLD

4) THE FOOD……The quality of the food here is top notch almost everywhere you go. The fresh seafood is some of the best that i have ever had and the street food is pretty tasty too. They take great pride in food and ingredients and you can taste this in the wonderful tofu, soba, vegetables, seafood and thousands of specialty foods that make each meal a surprise, but always good. And contrary to popular belief, the food is quite reasonable and certainly no more than SF or NY for prices. (Sure amazing meals can be had for $100, but the country abounds in great little neighborhood places where you can get tasty meals for 2 for $15-30. Even the train food is memorable as we were able to order fresh Sukiyaki (Soba wheat noodles that you dip in a soy-vegetable base mixed with a raw quail egg) on the train and it was delivered at a stop an hour later and brought to our seat 15 minutes after being boxed up! This was no AMTRAK microwaved sausage pucks.

Taisetsu Ji Brew Pub
PUB GRUB? I DON’T THINK SO…LOCAL WILD MUSHROOMS AND HOKKAIDO FARM TOFU

And there are microbreweries popping up all over the place with great beer and food as we had one of our most memorable meals at the Taisetsu Ji Brewery in the little touristed small city of Asahikawa on the Northern Island of Hokkaido.

5) THE COUNTRYSIDE…. The country is incredibly scenic and unique as the volcanic landscape, forests, temperate climate, and proximity to the ocean makes for great scenery around every bend in the train tracks.

Mt. Asahidake Lake
MT. ASAHIDAKE IN HOKKAIDO – JUST ANOTHER AMAZING VOLCANO

You could clearly spend years here exploring the national parks, trails, and other natural wonders from North to South.

6) THE PEOPLE (you knew this was coming) Every interaction with every single person here has been positive…and trust me, in Japan, you have a lot of interactions with people when competing any activity or transaction. They take pride in their work and their country, no matter how insignificant the task may seem. They will make sure that you are satisfied and not stand still until they are sure that everything is o.k. WE have made new friends in one memorable day. A Japanese friend from San Francisco put us in contact with his cousin and his wife in Tokyo and they planned a fantastic trip up North to Towado-Ko (lake) and the incredibly scenic Oirase gorge.

Hiking buddies
TAKESHI, CHERYL, AND KAORU ON THE OIRASE VALLEY TRAIL

They arranged their schedules around ours, arranged for transport to and from the National Park, and insisted on paying for it all. We will repay them someday when they visit the US, but they have left a lasting impression on us with their kindness that we will take with us always.

Waiting for the bus
FUN AT THE BUS STOP IN AOMORI PREFECTURE

And don’t fall for the cliche that the Japanese are uptight, as they are a fun-loving bunch and probably socialize more than most Westerners can handle. And that’s where a lot of the differences come up. Americans often try to avoid social interaction, while the Japanese prioritize it.

As for our travels, we are in the home stretch, but still have nearly two weeks to savor Japan before returning to the exciting next country called “California”. Sounds a bit scary, and I`m not sure if we even speak that language.

-Rich

Tags: , , , ,



One Response to “WHY I LOVE JAPAN(AND THE JAPANESE)”

  1. Megan Says:

    Hi Rich
    Thank you for sharing your adventures and thoughts with us.
    My husband and I spent three weeks in Japan in Feb-March.
    Everything you have said is 100% spot on. We experienced all this and more, since our flight was diverted back from Chitose to Narita where we had to spend the night sleeping at the airport. The care and attention of the people was absolutely unbelievable. We were treated like royalty. We love this country and it’s people so much. We can’t wait to get back there. It is all we think about.
    Megan

  2. Posted from Australia Australia

Leave a Reply