BootsnAll Travel Network



THE HOME STRETCH

We’ve been exploring the great city of Kyoto now for 4 days and were treated to a brilliant blue-sky sunny day yesterday after a few days of solid rain. June is the rainy season here, so I guess we’ve been lucky so far to have missed most of it. Well, mostly…

Ginkaku-ji Temple Kyoto
SCHOOL GIRLS GETTING THIER PHOTO TAKEN AT GINKAKU JI IN THE RAIN

We biked all over the city and explored temples, alleys, parks, shrines, gardens and rode along two river pathways checking out the Sunday scene of relaxation, Japanese style.

Japan_0263
WHAT? WE CAN’T RIDE OUR BIKES INTO THE TEMPLE!?

Now the Japanese certainly seem to be a fun-loving people, but their relaxation tends to take two major forms: shopping and artistic pursuits. The shopping streets, malls, and districts are always packed with people; everywhere and all the time. It is a sport that makes American material pursuits look like the minor leagues. It’s like it’s December 23rd every day.

Kyoto River path
CHERYL AND HER SUN UMBRELLA ON THE RIVER PATH – KYOTO

The other thing you can’t help but notice is just how many people here in Kyoto are painting, playing music, or creating other art outdoors. No lying around in the sun drinking beer – the Japanese are clearly doers. Saxophone, drum, flute, and violin players along just one stretch of river, loads of painters, writers, and calligraphers too. Even the kids are DOING things on their time off. It’s a very hip city once you get behind the facade of shops and busy streets.

Homeless man on Riverpath
EVEN THE HOMELESS HAVE THE TYPICAL JAPANESE PRIDE

I’m still mesmerized by how unique a culture it is in the world and I don’t see any signs of drastic changes on the horizon as the national psyche is little influenced by outside forces. As someone aptly said online “Other places like China and India are changing fast, but in 50 or even 500 years, Japan will still be Japan”

Living streets
STREET IN KYOTO IMPROVED BY NEIGHBORS PLANTS

As for our psyches, well, let’s just say that there is definitely a strange separation and growing feeling of anticipation growing as our return home is only 4 days away! Even if you haven’t travelled for an extended period before, you probably know the feeling from the end of a great 2-week vacation. The last few days are often kind of strange as your mind starts to adapt to the fact that it will be back in familiar territory again soon. Well, multiply that feeling by about 20 and you may get an idea of what I’m feeling now. It’s a strange combination of excitement and anxiety. What will it feel like to be back in the USA? We are already getting some of the US CNN feeds here in Japan on TV and it has reminded us how narrow the focus is of most of the media and dare I day, residents of the great country. Now it may sound like all this travel has made me down on the USA, but that’s not true. In fact I appreciate so many things about our country even more such as clean water and air, free speech, diversity, and most of all, the laid back non judgemental attitude of most Americans towards things they don’t understand. We really are quite an accepting group that has only recently lost our way again in the world. I’m more resolved on my return to speak my mind and stand up for what I believe in politics and the world.

We are also reflecting on our trip and in fact just figured out that in the past year we have visited 20 countries, 12 states, 124 cities and towns, and slept in 154 different beds. Yikes! Now again that may sound crazy and hectic and on one level it is. But the trip has actually been blissfully laid-back and relaxing. We’ve always been able to see what we want, stay longer in a place, and do what really interests us nearly every day. It’s been a job for year, but an extremely rewarding and enlightening one. The other amazing thing is that I can remember and recall every single place we have visited in order and tell you what the city, sights, people and bedroom looked like. Don’t ask me what I did the past 10 years at my desk job, since I can only remember the big things there…most is a blur. Clearly travel to new places taps a different part of your mind that is unused by other activities. So when people ask if the trip is mind expanding? Well, yes it clearly is.

So we are getting on a Shinkansen to Takayama now and this may be the last entry until I touch the sweet ground at SFO and hug a burrito at 16th and Mission.

Bon Voyage -R

Tags: , , ,



One Response to “THE HOME STRETCH”

  1. Frank Says:

    Hi!nrJust to let you know we’ve become big fans of your blog. Very interesting reading about your cycle adventures and your thoughts on infrastructure and where it’s all heading. Being in the same age group, I think it’s very inspiring and courageous what you guys have done. nrHow is it being back in SF after a year of being away? What have you taken away from these travels and what are your plans for the future? Will you get back into the work force and start where you finished off before this adventure? I really hope you maintain the blog, I’m sure you have other 40 something fans out there who have dreamed of or are planning the same type of adventure.nrIf you guys ever come up to Montreal it would be a pleasure showing you around and meeting you – it’s a very bicycle friendly city!nrAgain, great job on the blog! nrFranknrnr

  2. Posted from Canada Canada

Leave a Reply