BootsnAll Travel Network



Pre-Inka culture, Tiwanaku

_MG_3110.JPG

The Inkas are worldwide known, right?
But where do they come from? The answer is only an hour and half from La Paz, Tiwanaku a culture way older than anything I knew before

The Tiwanaku culture ruled Bolivia, the south of Peru, the north of Chile and Argentina. They were in existence between the years 1500 B.C. and 1200 A.D. and many of the Inka traditions come from them. The archeological site is really interesting, but a bit sad. I can´t believe that something as important as this is almost forgotten by archeologists. There is a piramid that is being excavated, but at the pace they are going is gonna take them 15 years! Why? No money! and it´s even an UNESCO world heritage site!!! The government gives some money but the majority comes from the entry fees and from a beer company (this made me support that company strenuously ;))

_MG_3092.JPG

Whipala flag, the Andean indigenous flag representing more than I can tell you (google it it´s really interesting)

_MG_3094.JPG

Pottery, gold, the Andean cross and calendars, they had it all. One of the most amazing things to see are the monoliths with man or animals forms, some up to 17 meters high!

_MG_3106.JPG

_MG_3087.JPG

_MG_3135.JPG

Also a place with 175 different faces carves out of stone, representing either the number of plagues and diseases that attacked them, or the victims that they sacrified.

_MG_3112.JPG

_MG_3109.JPG

To finish you can´t miss La Puerta del Sol a faboulous arch with a lunar calendar carved in it.

_MG_3126.JPG

Just amazing! I mean everyone likes ruins, no? At least to get into the shade 🙂

_MG_3104.JPG



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *