BootsnAll Travel Network



Monsoon in India

You know, I think I will be making a mad dash to India for 3 weeks to see my parents. And this is the monsoon time. The first thing I got to know while looking at available bookings is that Mumbai Airport is flooded by rains aka entire Mumbai is enduring heavy rains. Well, time to give monsoons a warm welcome. Torrents of rain. Spectacular. Do you know how monsoons can be celebrated? Do you know how beautiful it can be?

Also, do you know what happens in India when there is ankle or knee deep water everywhere – people roll up their trousers and wade through the water. The most heartwarming sight is at the tea stalls, where rolled trousers and wet shirts and sometimes plastered hair are drinking STEAMING hot Chai – the elixir of life in India ! I have a friend who blogs on and off and she is an exceptional writer. Her humor drips with cynicism. Here is what she wrote last year of Mumbai/Bangalore rains – a definite read. Check it out:
http://devikamenon.blogspot.com/2005/07/mumbai-perspective.html

Mumbai last year towards the end of the season had a very bad time with Heavy flooding. It amounted actually to a natural calamity as many died and property was damaged, roads and buildings washed away. I personally think Bombay floods every time because of the fact that Mumbai is below sea level and highly urban, so flooding even with little rain is immediate. Monsoons like I said are rolled trousers.

Anyhoo, so here I am, wanting to go to Mumbai but looks like I will have to continue to look for flights that go to Delhi or Cochin. My parents are in Roorkee – 1 hour driving distance from so much – Haridwar, Rishikesh, Dehradun. Mussorie and Nainital are also close by. My dad is arranging the setup of a kayaking and white water rafting spot in Rishikesh area, so thats a definite to do thing on my list. Another thing I will try to do is the Elephant Safari I wrote about earlier.

I will also visit Haridwar and Rishikesh. One thing beautiful to see in Haridwar is the Aarti at night, called Maha Arti – its on the river – on the steps of the ghat Harki Podi – after sun set, all the diya’s (earthware candles) light up the evening, must be hundreds of them, as each pilgrim brings his/her own and the air is fragrant with heavy incense and deep singing. It is a magical moment. The diyas and marigolds floating in the water, in the hands of pilgrims. You know, Haridwar in the morning is full of fake Rishi Munis and cacophony and actually dirt. But let the sun set and the magic of Maha Arti transports you.

Rishikesh is where I was bit by a mother monkey 🙂 so be careful. I was a in my early teens and trying to play with a lone baby monkey that was struggling to eat a leaf. I found its long tapering fingers fascinating. And as I quietly approached him trying to take a closer look, its mom grabbed my arm from behind with both hands, took a quick nip as a warning, picked up her baby and swung off !! Yes, I had to take all the shots. But if you leave the monkeys alone or not eat anything in front of them, they will leave you alone. Rishikesh is one place where monkeys are specially everywhere – they are considered to be descendants of the sacred army. The army the head of the monkey kingdom mobilized to help the good humans in their fight against evil humans. The epic fight of the good army versus the evil army. This is all there in the Indian Epic Ramayan. Ram was God in the form of a human being and king of a large kingdom. In his fight against evil, he had the support of the monkey kingdom, who were fiercely loyal and played a major role in his victory.

I tell you, if you are ever in a mood to read short and completely illustrated, fascinating stories (available in both english and hindi) from the ancient Indian kingdom, try reading some classic tales from Amar Chitra Katha. Check their website out for some amazing titles. I have so many favorites 🙂

Hmmn, I might also get in a trip to the Corbett National Park – Jim Corbett’s stories long fascinated me as a child and Shikari Shambu (available in both english and hindi)- has been a favorite comic book. Shikari in Hindi means hunter. Shambu is a goofy hunter whose fame precedes him in every village as a hunter with a lion’s heart. But the reality is that he is actually quite chicken hearted and always nails his man-eating tigers in the Himalayan foothills by accident, while actually trying to hide from the villagers who are looking for him so he can go kill the man-eating tiger ! I loved the comic as a child.

And did I tell you that I will be fed amazing food by everybody I meet? I have tons of relatives. Its easy in India to have a part-time cook at your place, if you are so inclined. What do you think they can cook? Exactly !! Just whatever you want! I am looking forward to my trip.

So much for planning, I still have to go through next week before I know I am actually able to travel. So stay with me, if I actually make my trip, then I will keep you updated on what I do when I am there 😉

———————————————————————————–
Mystic……..Adventerous !
http://www.travelwithsharmas.com/
Bed & Breakfast and custom travel packages for white water rafting, hiking, parasailing, in Shivpuri/Rishikesh/Mussorie, as well as Ashram visits and Maha Arti visits to Haridwar/Rishikesh/Mussoorie, Art of Living Classes, Yoga, Meditation Classes, Sanskrit classes.
ADVERTIZING family business !

———————————————————————————–



Tags: , ,

2 Responses to “Monsoon in India”

  1. Travel Packages Says:

    Markus

    It was quite useful reading, found some interesting details about this topic. Thanks.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Frever t. Says:

    I just wanted to say that I love this site

  4. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply