BootsnAll Travel Network



October, the start of “Wedding Season” in India

You know why, ofcourse – its because of the great weather ! October to December is when the whole nation is getting married, more or less. Jan/Feb get to be too cold, March, April do not have as many holidays. And then you get to summer, which is not fun.

But Oct-Dec – Time to have some fun. If you are in India at this time, you will notice the whole nation has either celebrated Dushera / Durga Puja etc or is gearing up for Diwali and getting married in between. In Calcutta, this is the time to be visiting Victoria Palace, to eat chicken rolls after the puja. They are exhausted from all the clothes shopping, communal lunches and dinners, cultural shows and watching movies. In Delhi and other northern states, families are going to stores buying fire crackers, buying new clothes, and all. Dushera is over, ravan is burnt to the ground and its now time to plan for Diwali – the festival of lights. And start buying gifts for all the people getting married.

Weddings are times when parents blow a sizeable portion of their life’s savings. So, always seems like the whole town is invited, as well as most of neighboring states. Weddings are a week long festivities, more or less.

One interesting thing about Indian weddings is that anybody and everybody can gate crash a wedding. What are a couple of more people in a wedding ceremony 1000 people plus strong? Go, grab a plate and mingle in with the dinner crowd. You don’t have to even meet the bride/bride groom. Even if you do, they will think you are their parents guest. Or the friend of a guest 🙂 If you are a non-Indian, you might get a few inquisitive looks though.

I have been to very few wedding, but have on few occasions as a kid, when visiting cousins, enjoyed a plate of ice-cream here and there in weddings. gatecrashing 🙂 You see, we lived in Army bases, somewhat isolated from the weddings galore. So, visting family in the Oct – dec season had its added bonuses.

———————————————————————————–
Mystic……..Adventerous !
http://www.travelwithsharmas.com/
Bed & Breakfast and custom travel packages for white water rafting, hiking, parasailing, in Shivpuri/Rishikesh/Mussorie, as well as Ashram visits and Maha Arti visits to Haridwar/Rishikesh/Mussoorie, Art of Living Classes, Yoga, Meditation Classes, Sanskrit classes.
ADVERTIZING family business !

———————————————————————————–



Tags: , , , ,

2 Responses to “October, the start of “Wedding Season” in India”

  1. Katelyn Slyter Says:

    Someone I work with visits your blog frequently and recommended it to me to read too. The writing style is excellent and the content is interesting. Thanks for the insight you provide the readers!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Energy Solutions Says:

    I like this web blog very much, Its a really nice situation to read and get info . “I have found that if you love life, life will love you back.” by Arthur Rubinstein.

Leave a Reply