BootsnAll Travel Network



Disapointment in Ely, MN

Written last night before the conection went down –

*******************************************
Day 1 – Big poppat – the Lake iced over just few days back apparently, so could not paddle across the lake into the Boundary Waters area – basically means cannot enter the Boundary Waters area – since the only access from Ely is through paddle boat. Great that means I cannot hike in BWCA too – seeing that I am unable to enter BWCA.

Lodge owner (or his son?) says that there is a trail that sort of enters Boundary Waters State Park – spent my afternoon yesterday trying to find the trail – basically every turn on the road looks like a trail – I hastily exited two trails once half way up the trail – discovered “No trespassing” Signs. Just recently saw the crazy “Orion” Hunter on Law & Order, so had no interest in even remotely being chased by a dillusional hunter serial killer throughout the night and then being shot and beheaded at dawn. Long story short – I got back to my Cabin by 3:30 in the afternoon – very irritated – as I couldn’t find the damn trail.

Atleast the lodge is nice – I don’t feel like going back home because the cottage is larger than my apartment. I turned on my laptop to study some bit – and lo and behold ! I was wirelessly conected to the world wide web – the beloved internet !! What happened to “remote” and “wilderness” – well, I am not really complaining. And not really studuting anymore, either 🙂

Late in the evening – around 8 pm, headed back to Ely – again Lodge owner’s suggestion – said there is a Thanksgiving Sale going on – the downtown basically has 3-4 stores – mostly winter clothes and books. The Radio station is also on the main street – and the 2 guys who kept the radio “Live” could be seen by everybody on street. There was a book in the bookstore about the owner or some main head guy at the radio station – and his struggle with alcholism………..

Of the four restaurants – only two were open – both steakhouses. We were given a hearty Thanksgiving Dinner – complete with pie, at one of them – where later there would be some karaoke.

Day 2 turned out to be better – another advice from the lodge owner – go to the Water Falls on Bass Lake Trail, a simple 2 plus mile round trip hike. The end destination – the carrot – being the wonderful water fall. Here are some pictures – scroll down and tell me if you can spot the “Falls”

Alright – so much so for making fun – but I really need to tell these guys that their definition of “Water Falls” is flawed and is actualy quite different from the rest of the world.

Plan to leave back for Minneaplois tomorrow morning – have tickets for the Australian Pink Floyd show for the evening – will bid a strange farewell to Ely – by far not the most satisfying trip but shall be back, i fpossible, once in the winter – after Jan, to walk across the now strangely unfriendly lake – into BWCA for some skiing and maybe later next summer for a 3 day cannoe trip within the BWCA water channels. Meanwhile, I am going to miss my Log Cabin.



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply