BootsnAll Travel Network



Too hot to handle?

View across western Belize

Well? I certainly am, thank you. I’ve just had a beautiful blissed-out four days in this little corner of paradise (San Jose Succotz, Cayo District of Belize). By day it’s been hot and sunny, the sounds of the birds and assorted wildlife filling the air, while by night the place buzzes, quite literally, with the sound of the bugs. I’ve seen butterflies, tarantulas (pets not wild ones), bats, trails of leafcutter ants, dragonflies, big dogs (Tai and Chi!) and of course mosquitoes, or little bastards as I like to call them.

It’s been pretty quiet around here in terms of people. Jim, the guy who told me about this place back in Hopkins was here for a day or two, as was Sarah, a photographer from the UK who won a fantastic competition prize of a round-the-world ticket taking photos for a charity and the Rough Guides. Sarah and myself spent Tuesday going up to the local Mayan ruins, followed by frisbee golf round the woods (like normal golf but with a frisbee and without the wankers).

Since then I’ve had the run of the place, as the last couple days have been quiet with only my hosts John, Judy, Flora etc. for company, but this has been good to give me time to recharge my batteries and prepare for heading into Guatemala. I realised today, whilst swinging lazily in a hammock, that since setting off almost six weeks ago I haven’t been alone at all – I’m not complaining as it’s been the most fun I’ve had in ages, but I have enjoyed having a couple of days to myself.

Now that I feel ready to move on, it’s time to jump back on the bus and head down to the border and face the music with my atrocious passport photo once again. My rough plan for Guatemala is to head to Flores first, an island town on lake Peten Itza, then head south to the Rio Dulce river before going west to Antigua, where I may go back to school to improve on my basic grasp of spanish.

Belize has been a breeze in terms of language because it’s largely english speaking, which is nice but doesn’t help improve my spanish, so it’s time to switch my brain back to learning mode. Belize is also relatively expensive compared to Mexico and Guatemala. It has very little manufacturing industry of its’ own, so most commodities are imported, that and the ever-expanding gringo population (and us tourists) keep pushing the prices up.

The only ‘made in Belize’ products of note are the beer (Belikin), the rum (Travellers’ 1Barrel being my favourite) and the ubiquitous Marie Sharp’s pepper sauce (every dinner table has it). As much as I like Tabasco, the habanero pepper sauces here are amazing, and hot! If they’re not exported already I suggest someone gets on the case before I get home, as I can’t carry anymore stuff. They come in many varieties and strengths, one of the hottest is called ‘No Wimps Allowed’ and it comes with the warning:
“Keep out of reach of children
Avoid contact with eyes or skin
Do not play triks[sic] on the weak or elderly whit[sic] this sauce”
Hmmm, now that just gives the mischievous amongst us ideas!

Right, enough rambling, I’d better go and pack my bag and head for a new land, with new beer and new currency. The Belizean dollars have the Queen’s head on them despite gaining independance in ’81; oh the grand old days of the British Empire. Thankfully Prince Philip hasn’t come over here recently and made one of his hilariously bigotted remarks about the locals, or I’d really be in the shit!



Tags: , , , , ,

One response to “Too hot to handle?”

  1. Bridget Fletcher says:

    I have loved reading your travels adventures as I have travelled in that area quite a lot myself (as you know as I bore on loads about it) and LOVE it. If you liked Caye Caulker I think you would like Roatan an island in Honduras. Its got a similar feel and is stunning for snorkelling but has good beaches as well. Hope all goes well in Guatemala, at least your hair is not long enough to plait/dread but I am sure you will be sporting a nice pair of stripey baggy trousers before long. All the best Bridget x

  2. Matt says:

    and we’re freezing our balls off in blighty – never mind; only a few weeks to bloat out, overly festive feelings and the darkest days of the year. Haven’t managed to escape it this year but next…

    keep up the commentary even if I do hate you for it!

    Matt

  3. admin says:

    Yes Matt, I know what you mean about hating me for it. I tell people what my plans are and for how long I´m away and invariably they have less time so you see the expression change from one of ´oh that´s great´ to one of ´you bastard!´Oh well what can you do! I won´t tell you about the weather here, but I´ll take some photos and post them up (later today hopefully) just to make you jealous 😉

    Bridget, not sure I´ll make it to Honduras, I think I´d get more out of the Bay islands if I was diving but that frankly scares me, and it´s not in the right direction of my travel, so maybe another time. Another time will not happen however if I come home wearing a pair of stripey hippy trousers, as I give you permission to shoot me if I do. I hope you and Bri are well and you´re enjoying your year away from the city. Are you still planning to go to Mexico in the new year?

  4. Jason says:

    I play Golf!

  5. Simon says:

    Hi Ed

    glad to read your having such a good time. jealous doesnt come close. Keep up the writing as its keeping me sane at work!

  6. admin says:

    Good to hear from you Simon, sounds like little changes at work but that´s UWE for you. Anymore thoughts on spending a season on the slopes to restore your sanity?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *