BootsnAll Travel Network



Across the border to Guatemala

It took me a day longer than expected to leave Belize. I sat drinking coffee friday morning in the beautiful spot I´d found near San Jose Succotz and thought ´bollocks to it´ one more day, uno dias mas. Five people turned up thursday night so friday we all went tubing down the Mopan river nearby. The river was beautiful, though fairly fast flowing due to heavy rain the previous weekend, but that made it more fun. However saturday I really should make a move.

Saturday came and I did finally pack up and head on. I took a taxi the few miles to the border, went through border control no problem and eventually negotiated a means of travel to Flores. This involved a minivan with as many seats as could be packed in, then more bums on seats than there were seats! Whilst being packed into the back of this bus with people standing, still we pulled over to pack another family in – where will they go? Oh, in front of me, behind me, on top of me! It was fun in a funny sort of way and at least I had a window seat so I could see the shadow of my backpack on the roof to assure me that we hadn´t bounced it off on the pot-holed road several miles back.

I found the hostel in Flores fairly easily (it´s only a small place) and was finally able to breathe out and relax. The hostel is really nice with a jungle feel back garden/bar/cafe, covered with hammocks, playing good music and with a menagerie of wildlife. The two house dogs have recently had puppies and two of these still remain at the hostel. Those, the cat and two wolf-whistling parrots all fight for attention.

Flores, Lake Peten Itza

Flores itself is a little town, an extension of St Elena just across the bridge. It sits as an island on this huge lake and has a view to die for. I spent sunset (and beyond) on the lakeside with James and Corrine, a couple from the UK I´d met at the hostel, and we ate, drank and smoked until dark. James and Corrine have headed off today for Livingston, where I should be heading tomorrow and will hopefully catch up with them again. They´ve been to spanish school in the last few weeks and it´s improved their spanish incredibly and is quite an inspiration for me to do the same when I get down towards Antigua, but in the meantime I´ll continue to progress my pigeon spanish to stumble on: “Me travel Livingston tomorrow, bus when do you know? Please, thankyou” Hmmm…



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *