BootsnAll Travel Network



New Year and all that

After my birthday we got a bit of culture in visiting a museum with lovely murals on the ceiling (Gwyn you need to comment what these were and by whom as my memory is shot and it´s all or mostly your fault), before heading off to Puerto Vallarta for New Year.

Lovely mural
Lovely mural that is probably more significant than I´m making it sound

Puerto Vallarta was beautiful, a resort town set on the pacific coast with cobbled streets and a big beach, and thanks to the efforts of Sarita and Gwyn we landed ourselves the perfect apartment. We had a long weekend there, celebrating the new year in the company or G & S´s friends, taking in local towns, nice restaurants and even a car repair garage (not part of the plan). One night I even managed to pull a mexican girl, which just goes to show that my spanish must´ve improved a little, though I think I still come across as a retarded child – maybe it was just sympathy!

Puerto Vallarta
View from our apartment in Puerto Vallarta

This last week since coming back from PV has been really nice with Monica and Daniel coming back with us to stay in Guadalajara. The following two photos are of a place we visited on thursday, not far from Guadalajara. Very scenic, very nice, apart from the dead dogs we saw on route!

Lake something or other
Lake Chapala

Mural on school wall
Mural on the school wall in the town of Ajijic, on Lake Chapala

And so, after a fantastic couple of weeks in the company of Gwyn and Sarita (and friends) I finally had to say goodbye and headed off this morning, before they started charging me rent. I´m now in a place four hours west of Guadalajara called Guanajuato. Lovely.

Sorry if I´ve been a bit vague of late, I was close to giving up this blog nonsense as it was becoming a chore and my memory has taken a set-back of late (!) However, these last few posts bring me up-to-date again. So apologies if they´re lacking in substance, I´ll try to stay on top of it again now and bore you senseless with more regular updates again.



Tags: , , , ,

9 responses to “New Year and all that”

  1. gwyn says:

    Had a loverly day on my favourite bed/sofa watching recently-purchased DVDs, and falling in and out of sleep. Haven’t got round to Kung Fu Hustle/Tarzan II yet mind… Well, t’was grand to have a couple of weeks of having someone round who shares the same taste in happy buttocks (4), virtual bowling (205!) and “Bad British Comedy” (c) Sarita 2005.

    Enjoy the mummies in Guanajuato and maybe swing by San Miguel de Allende, see if the pulqueria’s still there selling low grade agave fuel and trying to marry off their daughters…

    Happy trails, am glad you’re going to keep up the bloggery and like the pinata montage, though it doesn’t quite capture the pychopathic method acting fully. Feel free to give me email out to anyone who’s after a place to stay in Gwod. Barato para ti, 1 dolar. Maya.

    cheers, un abrazo, gwyn

    ps, the mural is by Jose Clemente Orozco, it’s called El hombre de fuego and it’s in the Centro Cultural Cabanas downtown. It signifying among other things: “a metaphor for the theme of socal struggle with a combination of the essence of the ideal. Orozco is successful in depicting an accurate account of man’s personal suffering without overpowering it with emotion.” It also signifies impending neck pain.

  2. admin says:

    Thanks Gwyn, the info on the mural is more than I was capable of remembering. I think you should mention that I beat you at real bowling (4/3) rather than just mentioning your triumph in the virtual game!

    I didn´t managae to get to either the mummies or San Miguel, but had a nice weekend in Guanajuato all the same. I headed off to mex city monday to catch the friend I met here 3 months ago before he flies off back to blighty today. Mow trying to sort out a flight to Brazil.

    I hope your first day at work wasn´t too stressful and it´s all going well.

  3. Sam says:

    Hi Ed,

    Happy New Year to you. Sounds like you are having a fucking blast. What a wicked thing to do. I’ve been following your blog on and off and have been very impressed that you have managed to keep it going so well. Nice work.

    Anyway, just a quick note to say hi and also if you decide to ‘pop up’ to California, you will always have a bed (or a floor) to stay on in Berkeley. All the best Sam 🙂

  4. admin says:

    Cheers Sam, and a Happy New Year to you too. It’s not likely that I’ll be in your neck of the woods, I’m currently in Mexico City trying to sort out a flight down to south america. How’s life in Berkeley treating you? I hope you’ve not developed a gambling problem from the online poker!

  5. Matt says:

    HI Ed

    no please don;t give it up. Keeps me going when the cold winds blow and the canteen serves what is sometimes referred to as food again!

    Matt

    New Year and Xmas greeting and other stuff like that – hah bumhug I think Scrooge would have said

  6. Simon says:

    Please keep it up Ed, its one of the few things making my time at work bearable!

  7. Sam says:

    Hey Ed,

    Life in Berkeley is going really good. I have traded in the gambling addiction for a much simpler Halo 2 addiction. And I tend to live my life around Halo 2 when I can fit it in 😉 Nah not really, but I am playing far too much of it. I should be doing more fulfilling, creative things but I guess thats all part of an addiction, you are helpless to it. Aside from that, Laura has just been out for 3 months and will be returning again soon which will be cool. The weather here is sunny and warm a lot, even in winter. I have some friends here and a new roommate moving over from Minneapolis. Work has been great, doing stuff for big clients like Apple, Intel, Motorola: all elearning still. This week I finally took the plunge and am developing my next interaction in proper class files all in AS 2.0 – eek scary shit, better not fuck it up. Take care moochachoo

  8. Jason says:

    A belated happy new year to you, some great pictures Ed, great to see I’m not the opnly one getting at little chubby (gwyn).

    Joke for you.

    Donald Rumsfeld is giving the President his daily briefing. He concludes
    >by saying: “Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed in an accident”.
    >
    >”OH DEAR GOD NO!!!” George W. Bush exclaims. “That’s terrible!!”
    >
    >His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as
    >the President sits, head in hands.
    >Finally, the President, devastated, looks up and asks…. ‘”How many
    >is a Brazillion??!”

  9. admin says:

    Good to hear that UWE is keeping Matt and Simon so busy!

    Sam, sounds like the work is good but you be careful with those classes, it could be the thing that tips you edge into true geekdom.

    Jason, thanks for the joke, it seems very appropriate as I´m trying to plow my way through a Chomsky book about US foreign policy at the moment.

  10. garyrbeck says:

    Hola~

    I have never been there during NY or XMas due to the crowds and higher prices. I love April/May and October/November but am also adding March and August for short 2 week ventures. I live in SouthSide and edit a restaurant guide. It would be cool to meet sometime and have lunch or a cool one on Playa Los Muertos. Most of all…Enjoy!!!

    Gary
    San Francisco, CA./Puerto Vallarta, JAL.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *