BootsnAll Travel Network



Back to where it all began

I spent a nice weekend in the beautiful little colonial town of Guanajuato, set on the side of a hill with narrow winding streets, sweet little parks and squares where musicians and assorted street performers did their thing. Saturday night was a big one, going out with a group of mexicans on a weekend break from Mexico City. After a bar or two we headed to a club in the town centre and proceeded to dance and drink the night away with a bottle of tequila. Sunday, no surprise, was a pretty subdued and unproductive day!

I didn’t manage to do either of Gwyns suggestions, visiting the mummies or the little town of San Miguel, but it was a nice place to stay all the same and I certainly could’ve spent more time there. However, as a friend Tim that I’d met in Mexico City at the start of my trip was about to fly home on Tuesday, I headed off Monday afternoon for Mexico City again.

I’m now back in the hostel where I started, trying to sort out a flight to get my arse down to Brazil. It’s like coming home again, in a way. I was greeted Monday evening by Tim, Alex who works the bar and Luis, the big friendly security guard who I’d befriended here last time. I’m not exactly doing a lot of sightseeing this time around, but as ever I’m propping up the bar and meeting lots of nice people once again. The next time I check-in should be with news of my impending flight down to South America, the prospect of which is giving me itchy feet and butterflies in my stomach, symptoms that I’m sure Doctor Booze will cure while I’m hanging around waiting to go.



Tags: , , , ,

2 responses to “Back to where it all began”

  1. gwyn says:

    All you need to know about the momias de guanajuato: http://www.mummytombs.com/mummylocator/group/guanajuato.htm
    Good luck with the whole getting FedExed to Brazil plan. Cheers like, gwyn

  2. Tan says:

    I remember Luis…he taught me my second most useful bit of spanish after dos cervezas……dos mas!!!!

    Cheers
    Tan (long time lurker…1st time poster)

    ps if you are back in blighty for the end of April i’m having a birthday bash

  3. admin says:

    Hello Tan, glad you mastered the language in such a short time! I take it you had a good time here in Mexico, I´m probably in the same area that you stayed in right now (Zipolite, Muzante down on the pacific coast) and it´s soooo hot!

    Not likely to be back by April unless I really blow the budget badly, but have a good birthday bash and I´ll probably see you a couple months after that.
    Cheers amigo,
    Ed

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *