BootsnAll Travel Network



The Ups and Downs of Travel

Im in Rome. Yesterday I spent the day seeing some of the tourist things; the Vatican, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, lots of churches, and finally I arrived at the Spanish steps. I arrived just before sunsent, and as I sat down, I listened to a pair of Italian men playing guitar and singing various songs including coldplay, greenday, italian language songs and familiar songs from a few years back. The sun set over the rooftops, there were crowds of people walking and sitting enjoying the end of a beautiful day, the music of the guitars drifted through the air and it happened, the very climax of my travels itself, a moment that I’ve had a few times and is the reason I keep going. The feeling that at this moment in time, all is right. It is more than a feeling, far stronger than an inkling, it is the knowledge that I am content, and at that particular moment, there was nowhere else in the entire world I would rather be. That is the highpoint of travelling, it is what keeps me going place to place. It is the ultimate goal, and the trip is but a quest to find it and hold onto it for a time in each country I visit. I’ve never had that feeling as strong or as often as on this trip, and it is still hard to come by even here, and it is what will keep me travelling my entire life.

I went to the bank machine today, it said my card was out of credit.It wouldnt even give me 20 bucks, but it would give me 10 bux two times.I hate banks. My plan was to leave Rome tommorrow and skip germany and head to Croatia. From Croatia I would head to Prague, and from Prague to Amsterdam.I’ve had a massive yearning to go to Croatia since near the beginning of my trip, and two days ago I had decided to do it.Tonight as I was walking back up the highway to my camp ground I decided that with train schedules and money troubles, I would only be able to spend a couple nights in Northern Croatia,and I wanted to see it all. So instead I will be making my way to Prague for Friday at the latest, then on to Amsterdam next week, and then home in 11 days. Everytime I look at the date, I get a panicky feeling of not being able to fit it all in and just this fear that I wont ever see it all. It is irrational and a waste of time, but it happens, so I’ve promised myself I am returning here, to visit all the places I have been and everywhere I missed. Hold me to it.



Tags:

4 responses to “The Ups and Downs of Travel”

  1. Lindzzzzz (AKA trevor) says:

    i will definitely hold you to it..and im coming next time lol..oh good god could you imagine that..the adventures of gloria and trevor….in rome…i dont even know..well rome sounds amazing and arent you glad you went..considering you werent going to god..you’re such a retard sometimes..you’ll definitely fit most of it in dont worry..look at how much you’ve done already and uve only been gone a month and a half…i bet you’ll be back there within like a year tho..i’ll bet money on it! anywhoo im off to turkey dinner cant wait til the 21! …ps..remember to let someone know what time your damn flight comes in so we can surprise you at your doorstep with an ice cold beer
    Lindz

  2. Sara says:

    Hey,
    you have to be a bit excited about coming home and seeing all your wonderful friends and family. But i am definitly going to hold you to going back someday and seeing the spots you never got to see.. and don’t be soo panicky yet cause its only wasting your time.. keep having fun hope to see you soon.. later

    ~Sara

  3. Katelyn says:

    hey kiddo, how’s the trip going? Rome sounds beautiful and I’m glad that ur taking a lot of time to pause and take in ur surroundings. Its the best part of the trip and when u think about it, you are only there for a short time so its great to stop and just look around every once and awile. And don’ t worry cause by the sounds of it, this will not be ur last stay in Rome. I am definetely holding u to it mikey! especially to visiting Germany…that’s somewhere i hope to visit one day because a lot of my relatives came from there. I will have to make u come to Berlin with me one day! I was in to Ryan’s yesterday to get Keyia some treats… it just isn’t the same without u there bugging the cats. And don’t worry… I hate banks too lol… especially TD… it is nothing compared to CIBC and u know it. Well the count down is on… only 11 days left!! Give me a shout when u get home…

    ps. I should get to be yoshi (at least for one game) because u got to see Europe for two months!
    miss ya,
    Katelyn

  4. Kat (Rino) says:

    Oh Mikey. I’m sure Jodi will back out of our Europe trip, but you can bet for damn sure I’m not going to. It’s my motivation for the next year. I have been rehired by Springridge to continue until Dec. They usually let all 95 Harvest Festival Employees go, but not me. So that will be more money in the savings bank. I talked to some guy he said he saved $8000 for 4 months I believe. So I have a ways to go. I wish I could experience that feeling of everything being right. I had a small feeling of that last weekend at Springridge, when I could see all the way to the CN tower, the sun was rising, and the rooster was crowing. It was just right. I went and wished Patty O a Happy Bday last night. Today is Volpes bday and my parents Anniversay. Happy Thanksgiving Mikey. I’m thankful for…. friends.
    Love, Rino

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *