BootsnAll Travel Network



The Pink Palace

We are staying at the pink palace on Corfu, and I know during the summer months it is known as a huge partying and hooking up place. It definetly is not as bad during the off season (now), but there are still remnants of that vibe around. The place where we eat dinner is also a night club, and theres a pub just down the street that I believe I’ve mentioned before, but if not, it’s Mike’s Dancing Pub. So our first day here involved a nap, I went for a walk to explore the town. It is a very very tourist oriented town, all the menus are in english, offering plate smashing and traditional greek music at every dinner. I looked at the photos of some of these dinners, and it reminded me of a scene out of the its a small world ride at disneyworld. For me anyways, I always thought that traditonal music just sort of happened, rather than being performed for tourists all the time. I was looking for an actual traditonal greek place, but couldnt find one, so I sat down on the place with the english in the small words and the greek menu as the main focus. It was a little food stall, actually a hole in the wall place, and the chef didnt speak english-this was looking promising. It was a mom and pop joint, pop cooked, mom dealt with customers, cash register and cleaning. While I was waiting, it had stopped raining, and from a staircase at the side, the grandmother appeared carrying the couples daughter. I gathered the baby had just woken up from a nap and was being brought to see her parents. The chef/father swept her up in his arms, began gently rocking her back and forth, gently singing to her some greek lullaby. I think I found the only authentic traditional greek music in town.

Some of the other stuff we have been doing isn’t quite as noteworthy or culturally significant-taking a break, swimming, relaxing on the beach. Eddy went on a quad safari while I opted to take the bus into Corfu Town with Laurel, a girl from Calgary, and spend the day wandering around there searching for more traditonal greek experiences. We weren’t overwhelmed by our discoveries, but we managed to find a restaurant with no english on the menu and by cutting down a back alley we found the market that contained almost all locals. Speaking of the girl from Calgary, we have met more Canadians here than anywhere else on our stay. The day after the trip into town, the Booze Cruise was on. Now the booze cruise involves getting on a boat, sailing out, going cliff jumping, cave exploring, to a monastery, to a secluded private beach and getting rather intoxicated on the boat while doing it. The cliffs were great, I jumped off the 69footer, and it was early on so the climb up was that difficult. The swimming in the caves was eery at time, we swam deep enough in that I couldnt see my hand in front of my face, but I could hear the bats screeching overhead. I also may or may not have indulged in a few beers, but I will say this: there was a skulling war between a bunch of guys from England, and me and a bunch of aussies. I am not usually a chugger, and I was batting cleanup (going last, pressures on) and I downed that faster than I have ever downed anything else before. You would have been proud of me for representing Canada.

A special note to the ladies of the group: I am apparently a fabulous dancer. Last night I met this girl and became very very interested in her very quickly because of our initial conversation. (she wanted to talk hockey, she knows alot about the NHL, and my god, I love talking about hockey). So there were about 5 of us in a group, including a guy from the mountain in Hamilton, and we all went down to Mike’s Dancing Pub. Now this girl I met, Diane, is apparently a dance instructor, and I had been drinking since about noon (I didnt say the cruise started late, its more of an all day thing) and I was with her step for step, so watch out ladies, mikeys got moves.

Oh, and the keeping my clothes streak was dashed last night. I may or may not have attempted to have a no pants party in my room while eddy, laurel and trista were right there, and I may or may not have been the only one to participate. I may or may not have been the one whose white ass was running down the road and jumping into the Mediterranean at 4am this morning/last night. I won’t say. Hope all is well and to those faithful readers, I apologize for the tardiness in this blog update.

And for a postcard, all three of these questions must be answered correctly. The subject is mike’s underweard.
1. Is mike wearing underwear right now?
2. Mike left with four pairs of boxers, he now only has three in rotation. This is because:
a) he tossed one out, it was taking up too much room
b)it got stolen as some kind of weird souvenir
c) he still has the fourth pair but it is not used as a towel along with his bandanas
d) he went out for mexican food again and blew a hole through the cotton
3. What is an “Irish Car Bomb” (other than really tasty)?

Good luck, and God Speed.



Tags:

4 responses to “The Pink Palace”

  1. kellyyy says:

    hey mike. well i think i can answer those….1. no your not wearing underwear..are you ever? 2. i think they got stolen and an irish car bomb is a cocktail with 1/2 pint of guinness 1 oz jamison and 1/2 oz baileys …im sure you have enjoyed 1 too many of those! well i dont really know if those are all correct…but they just might be!! keep enjoying yourselves n keep up the sweet dancing!
    all my love.
    kelly

  2. Monique says:

    o wow that was a long one but very interesting.. and funny have u ever considered becoming a writer i think u have talent! haha first of all thats cute about the greek music second of all glad u repped canada as a good beer chugging country third, i knew it was jus a matter of time b4 u got naked there lol anyways not much is going on back at home 4 days til alexisonfire and used concert:D im pumped anyways its late and i have school tomorrow:P so have a good one..

  3. Katie says:

    OH MY GOD.

    your travels soudn awesome. we are packin’ up to go to madrid next week and are going to be in italy fo rlike 9 days– lemme know what you think a good plan to see italy is or if there is something we should go out of our way to see.

    with that sound, HOW THE HECK ARE YA?? when you coming to france/switzerland . 1) i want my pictures adn 2) more importantly, there are more fun guiness times to be had!! HOLLAA BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! glad you guys are still alive and stuff…. bisos

  4. Lindzzzzz (AKA trevor) says:

    lol ohh man gloria i missed your damn postcard trivia AGAIN..ive been a little preoccupied with work and school this week…ya school..the shithole isnt the same without you…quite boring i must admit. BUT my bday is in 10 days and brendan will be here in 9 days and i will be having a few drinks for you for sure…wish u could be here to celebrate with me :(. Well i think that might have been the most interesting blog yet.. the booze cruise..damn that sounds like a good time. Well i must be going..gotta work..again lol talk to ya soon!
    x0x Lindz

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *