BootsnAll Travel Network



Two Cheap Tourists

ON 1.JPG

Strikes me that no one actually knows where I am.  Well, it’s Curitiba, a rather fine city south of Sao Paulo.  Last night I was presented with one of the best meals I’ve had on this trip – credit goes to Bin 608 on Carlos de Carvalho.  A glass of excellent Argentine chardonnay to accompany, with impeccable service.

Did the tourist thing today by taking a bus that covers the very widespread attractions that Curitiba has to offer.  Chief among them is the Museu Oscar Niemeyer – a fantastic structure, somewhat in the style of Miro, ruined by curators who have filled some of its galleries with unimaginative tat.  And the café wasn’t functioning.  

The (hop-on, hop-off) bus then takes you on a tour of the outlying sights including a variety of memorials to various European immigrants (and one to the locals who were displaced).  At one of these a couple of tourists got on the bus making comnplaints in English to the (Portuguese-speaking) conductor that they had been treated badly in some way and demanding to avoid the turnstile which checks you only make 4 stops per journey.  They got off with me at the next stop – The Wire Opera.  I knew it was closed for repairs because a big sign on the bus proclaimed so, but you could see the structure from outside and there was also a reclaimed amphitheatre there, so it was worth a look.  I got on the next bus with my co-Europeans and they once again made a fuss saying they hadn’t known it was closed.  I, amongst others, pointed out the sign, which they claimed they couldn’t understand, as it wasn’t in English (they were German).  I saw the real problem with a glance at their ticket-book indicating they only had one stop left, and clearly had done so for the past few attempts to avoid giving up a ticket.  They got off at the next stop and the male of this slimy couple had a nasty little smirk on his ugly little face.  Cheap. 

Hence song of the day is Sex and Drugs and Rock’n’Roll by that other dead hero Mr Ian Dury.  There’s one line particularly apt. 

Currently reading Brazil, by John Updike.  The action has just moved to Sao Paulo to where I’m headed tomorrow.  Yet again a book has chimed in accurately with my journey (although hopefully not too accurately judging by where the story appears to be heading).  Weather today, a frosty 28 degrees Celsius.

Re the shrine;  The campaign has been going on for some time now, in case you hadn´t noticed.  If I go and pack it up it will lose it´s power.  Just keep chanting, all of you that have it as your wallpaper…



Tags:

4 Responses to “Two Cheap Tourists”

  1. JK Says:

    Well, today is the day.Can the shrine pull it off once more? Since it first weaved it’s magic The Goats have lost an unlikely 3 on the bounce and Chester have won an even more unlikely 3 on the run! It surely is crunch time.
    Disturbing news is that a lot of bars are staying shut this afternoon in case our visitors get overexcited at the plethora of electric light bulbs on display.God knows what they’ll make of our floodlights tonight!
    Altogether now.Bob Delgado,Bob Delgado,Bob Delgado…………….

  2. Rob MB Says:

    get in!!!!!! come on the seals!!!! theres only one derek asamoah!! (its a pretty unusual name)

  3. O Editor Says:

    In a very busy bus station in Sao Paulo, just time to see the shrine has worked its magic again. Good grief. Anybody fancy commenting on my travels?

  4. Posted from Brazil Brazil
  5. How many more for St Derek of Asamoah Says:

    I’m typing this having had a few of the good Lord’s special black stuff.
    I am so unbelievably happy, just been singing songs in the kitchen whilst making a cup of tea and a nice sandwich.
    Life is so very,very sweet. We stuck it right up their jacksies. I love it when my team shows they really,really want it, and my God did the Chester boys want it tonight.
    All praise the shrine, all praise Asamoah Derek. Every now and then in football you do get your just rewards. For me, Tom, Dad, Uncle John and Sis it came tonight.
    I love football….

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. JK Says:

    Quite right LJP. But if I were you I would be sorting out some way of getting ownership or image rights to ‘THE Shrine’. It may be 28c in Sao Paulo but on this cool,grey April morning in the walled city, we may as well all be on some Pacific paradise.
    But as we all know, for every positive there is also a negative.Cut to Llandegla Moor where the sheep and goats are all walking in a very tentative way this morning.
    Anyway,I’m off to get a lucky dip and see if THE Shrine’s magic powers extend to Camelot.Bob Delgado,Bob Delgado,Bob Delgado……….

  8. Cath Says:

    Oscar Niemeyer is one of my favourite architects. I realise how much of an anorack this makes me look, but he was a pretty cool bloke too and I think you’ll like this quote of his:

    “Here, then, is what I wanted to tell you of my architecture. I created it with courage and idealism, but also with an awareness of the fact that what is important is life, friends and attempting to make this unjust world a better place in which to live.”

    I realise you may not have time, but if you do, LP highly recommends the train ride to Paranagua as “the most exciting in Brazil” and says to be sure and get a seat on the left side going out and Right coming back up. They have posh seats for a bit extra.

  9. Posted from United States United States
  10. Gillian Says:

    Can’t believe you are actually going to return to the UK. I shall miss your travelogue, which I’m reading regulary although may not be commenting. Spectacular shot of Niemeyer building, pity about the contents: keep up the good work

  11. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply