BootsnAll Travel Network



Luang Nam Tha

Luang Nam Tha is a dusty little town in the north of Laos.  It is a popular tourist destination because of the great hill tribe trekking available in the area.  We had a nice little stay there. We spent a day biking through some of the nearby villages. We happened to be there on National Women’s Day. It’s a federal holiday in which all women have a day off from work. There were parties in every village, some of them with 50+ people (a few men were taking part.) We were told that it was just another excuse for drinking and eating all day, something the Laos do with pride.  After about 20 km of biking on a dusty and bumpy road, Fabien and I were nearing town. We stopped for a drink of water and two young guys on motorbikes wearing US army jackets invited us to come to their village to drink alcohol. I was filthy and butt was aching, so we regretfully declined. We also stopped by the airport, which consisted of one small building, a little clearing in the field and an outhouse. There was an information board about Lao airlines, apparently they have a total fleet of 4 planes.  We later met a Norwegian couple who had wanted to fly to Luang Nam Tha, but the next flight available wasn’t until April 17th.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *