BootsnAll Travel Network



Lafayette and Cajun music

March 11-12th

A Boy Scout event invaded the state park for the weekend so we moved into Lafayette to the KOA campground so that we could spend a couple of extra days and hopefully catch some live music. The location next to the I-10 highway was not ideal (in fact it was extremely noisy) but the staff was extremely friendly and told us about the Friday night “jam session” at the cultural/tourist information center across the street from the campground. We weren’t sure what to expect as we wandered over around 8:30 after dinner. The jam session had moved inside (it’s usually on the veranda) because it was chilly outside. There were about 10 guys of all ages (literally from about 10 years old to 70) playing the fiddle, the accordion, the guitar and the triangle. They spoke a mix of English with a sing-songy accent and Cajun French together. Most of the songs they sang were in French and sung by the older men who knew the words. Sometimes they traded parts and instruments; it was obviously a time to share – the older men passing down their knowledge to the younger. We stayed for about an hour, listening to songs that got your feet tapping and others that made you sad. I was most impressed by the mix of ages-it rare to see several generations share an interest in something these days.

On Saturday, we continued our education on Acadiana and the Cajun culture at the Vermilionville living history museum and then went for lunch at a local place serving up BBQ chicken, jambalaya, boudin blanc (cajun style- not exactly like what you find in France- it’s a mix of pork, liver, Cajun spices and cinnamon) and corn bread stuffing. We walked around downtown Lafayette a little bit, but things were pretty quiet. After dinner, we went to a Cajun restaurant and dance hall called Mulate’s to listen to some more Cajun music. This time it had more of a country music feel. The dance floor was full of older couples doing the two-step. Fabien and I tried it out, but we both have two left feet and disagree about whom should lead…



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *