BootsnAll Travel Network



Fort Laramie, Wyoming and the return to Colorado

August 24th

We started the morning with a visit of another fort (it was becoming habit.) This time it was Fort Laramie, another Indian Trading Post. This fort was crucial during the Indian Wars and served as a rest stop on the Oregon Trail. The site is a mix of ruins and restored buildings, some of them were furnished with period furniture. One of our favorites was the soldiers’ quarters; it looked like it was ready to receive men that evening. We spent about two hours exploring the site and learned about the difficulties of being stationed at a fort in the far west (boredom was rampant.)

After visiting the fort, we picked up the highway to Cheyenne, the capital of Wyoming. Except for a picnic stop at the Cheyenne Welcome Center, we passed up visiting the town, favoring getting to our destination before dark. We finally arrived at the Colorado border, “welcome to the colorful state”, and restocked our groceries on the way in to Rocky Mountain National Park. Since our quick visit in May (flashback to snow on the tent), we had been looking forward to our return to this mountainous state. We arrived in Rocky Mountain National Park in the early evening, installed our tent, and enjoyed a cold beer after a long day on the road. Tomorrow, we would be ready to “attack” the mountain.

Posted from Williamsburg, VA



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *