BootsnAll Travel Network



Boulder to Colorado Springs

August 28th

We woke up early on Sunday morning, but both of us were feeling drained from our intense hike the day before.  We made pancakes for breakfast and then packed up camp. The drive out of Rocky Mountain National Park was pretty- we were on the lookout for bighorn sheep again- but to no avail. We crossed a women’s cycling race, one of the numerous regional outdoors events. Our first stop was in Boulder, at town famous for its liberal attitudes and access to some amazing scenery. We got there a little early –around 10AM, but there were people out enjoying the pedestrian quarter of shops and trendy restaurants. From Boulder, we made the short drive to Denver. We picnicked in the Waterfront Park and then tried to find a parking place to visit their downtown commercial area. Unfortunately, parking was a nightmare and our patience was low (probably from the fatigue) so we gave up and decided to drive directly to Colorado Springs. We went directly to the Garden of the Gods, an area of amazing rock formations. We did some short hikes to stretch our legs and watched some climbers. The weather was hot and humid and we left when it started lightning. Finally, we drove a few miles to Manitou Springs and the Cog Railway Depot to reserve tickets for the train to Pike’s Peak the next morning. There were a lot of people in town enjoying their Sunday afternoon. We found a cute little roadside hotel in Manitou Springs- the weather wasn’t looking good for camping. We sprinted through the rain to a little pizza place next door for dinner. The Rocky Mountain afternoon thunderstorms were becoming a regular occurrence.

Posted from Williamsburg, VA



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *