BootsnAll Travel Network



Mexican Food Part 8 – Chicken Tinga Tostadas

Chicken Tinga Tostadas

As I’ll be entertaining guests this evening with some delicious Mexican fare, I thought I’d share a little how-to cooking blog entry with you, with one of my favorite Mexican dishes called chicken tinga tostadas.

To save a little time, I’ll use the recipe I found online at AllRecipes.

First, I’m off to the neighbourhood market to purchase the ingredients:

Mexican Market

INGREDIENTS

  • 6 bone-in chicken breast halves
  • 7 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 medium tomatoes
  • 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 16 tostada shells
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • salt and pepper to taste

Okay, let’s get this show on the road. First, our basic ingredients. I bought chicken leg instead of breast (we’re just going to serve it as shaved chicken after boiling it down first anyway), some large ripe tomatoes, large white onions, garlic, and two cans of chipotle in adobo sauce. Oh, an a 6 pack of Dos Equis Lager. But, we won’t share that last one with the guests, eh? 😉

Tinga TEFL
The rest of the ingredients I’ll pick up later when I go back to the market.

The first step: Place the chicken into a large pot along with 1/4 cup of sliced onion, garlic, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until no longer pink, about 25 minutes. Remove chicken, cool, and shred meat. Discard skin and bones. Open a Dos Equis.

Remember, the right tools for the right job. You’ll want a large pot, a good cutting board, and sharp knives.

Tinga TEFL
The second step: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining onion slices, and fry until transparent. Place tomatoes into a pan of boiling water (you could use the leftover chicken water), and boil until they split open.

Don’t use high heat, and don’t let the onions cook too long. They will caramelize. That’s not the taste we want for this dish.

Tinga TEFL
The third step: Place the tomatoes, the whole can of chipotle peppers, chicken bouillon into a blender or large food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour this mixture into a large pan, and add the shredded chicken and cooked onions. Heat through.

Optional: open another Dos Equis. It seems this recipe calls for too many onions. I caught it halfway through and reduced the amount. A lot of chipotle means this dish is a bit spicy. I also noticed I went through 4 Dos Equis getting it all done.
Tinga TEFL
The fourth and final step: To serve, each person spreads some sour cream on their tostada shell, and tops with a spoonful of the chicken.

Of course, I went to the market to pick up the rest. The Mexican dinner table is usually modular, meaning, guests sere themselves from an array of cheeses, sauces, and fixings to create tostadas, tacos, and the like as they wish. Here are some shots of the final spread.

Tinga TEFL

Some cheese, red and green salsas, queso doble crema, tostadas, totopos, lemons, tomato, onion, chopped lettuce, pico de gallo, quesadillas, cream, guacamole, and beans and you have a Mexican meal!

Tinga TEFL

Now we just wait for the guests to arrive.

So, I hope you enjoyed that! Tomorrow is Mexican Independence Day, so this was a pre-celebratory dinner with cherished guests.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *