BootsnAll Travel Network



Yacht Life

Safely ensconced back here Dakar at the CVD in Hanplage. The CVD is the place all the yacht people hang out at so it’s a bit like Europe with a definite sea dog subculture. Like any group on the edge of society, the CVD has a fair amount of characters that hang out here. Think of all the sea dog stereotypes in your head and then multiply it. Also add in a fair number that break the stereotype.

Yesterday I went out with a French/Madagascan family and some other people to Ile de Goree which is a beautiful island just off Dakar that is very touristic but well worth a visit anyway. Especially if you anchor off it in a nice size yacht and go in by raft. The family whose yacht is was, live on the yacht, including kids. All permanent like. (By coincidence, the energetic 7 year old was born in Cape Town quite close to my house. I think he had a couple of days on land and then it was onto the boat.)

I sleep on the smaller yacht of a friend’s friend. Sleeping on a boat is a novel experience all on its own. The boat that I will go to Cape Verde on is smaller still and I’ve managed to put in some hours work but the holidays are playing havoc with our working hours. Looks like we’ll be going some time in the new year. Meanwhile it’s work, socialise and talk about boats here in the CVD. [Maybe at this point you need to reread this paragraph again just to let the coolness of my situation sink in.]

Happy holidays everyone! Have a safe and enjoyable festive season.  

Tags: , ,



One Response to “Yacht Life”

  1. Tasneem Says:

    sleeping on a yacht is the best!!! (especially if you anchored & the sea is gentle)….nrnrwhen you leaving for cape verde? i am soooo envious….. I want to be on a yacht right now & go to cape verde!!!

Leave a Reply