BootsnAll Travel Network



Mauritania and Away

So tomorrow its off to Senegal and aiming to get to St. Lois. Apparently Senegal will be more expensive so I don’t know how long I’ll hang around there. Anyway, let me sum up some goede [things] on Mauritania.

Its a nice country, I like it here. The people are friendly and happy to just chat if they can and they’re pretty laid back. Back home we know vokol about Mauritania and its main tourists seem to be people driving through to Senegal or Mali usually to sell older cars from Europe. There’s also a lot of of French package tourists who fly in and hire a car and driver to gallivant around the desert. (Don’t you just love that word ‘gallivant’?)

Well more people should be coming here because I liked it a whole lot. It’s a desert buzz with an authentic feel and the travellers I’ve been meeting are an interesting bunch because, let’s face it, if you’re not a package tourist here, you’re on a moersie [big] mission.

It’s also interesting to see the border between the Arabs and Black Africa in action and although I haven’t liked everything I’ve seen, it’s still an interesting melange of cultures.

Generally though, the desert people are fscking fantastic, no matter what their heritage. Mauritania is one of those countries that could help lead in the African Renaissance and is an easy introduction for any traveller to Africa. They seem at the edge of being a great country and it seems to be going in the right direction.

Will I come back? Hell yes! Next time with a GPS, 4X4, sandboard and a surfboard.

Tags: , ,



3 Responses to “Mauritania and Away”

  1. Waleed Abdurahman Says:

    Surfboard??? Oh yes I’ll most certainly come with whether you like it or not (just kidding)

  2. Carol Says:

    For those of us sitting in our litte offices, going home at the end of the day, safe and secure in our world – your world looks WOW. I feel like I am living it all with you as you have always been good with words and describe things just as they are. Miss your sense of humor and wity diatribe (good word that). We (the girls) talk about you all the time and your exciting adventures. Don’t come back with any regrets or “I should of” do it all now while you can. Take care. C.

  3. Sudani Says:

    Interesting post. I found out throughout my recent research, Mauritania is a fun country. I would definately consider visiting. Loads of cozy spots and activities.

Leave a Reply