BootsnAll Travel Network



Lucky or Lemming?

Yep back at work almost recovered from my 12 round title fight with the flu. Since I didn’t take much pics and didn’t do much travel planning, I’m going to have to write some more crap than usual so that I can keep this interesting.

I was thinking about taking chances the other day and thinking about times I had taken chances. Because there’s a fucking thin line between taking chances and being stupid. Sometimes I worry that this whole packing up and moving to Morocco gedagte is simply a blunder rather than a push at luck that could go either way.

I was thinking all this standing outside the Cape Town Jazz Festival. I had given up a couple of offers of tickets for Friday night (hoping not spoil my chances for the next night) and I had gone down to the Jazz festival on the Saturday night with no money, no ticket and therefore no surety that I would get in to see Jose Feliciano (whom, by the way, turned out to be an absolute fuckin legend on the guitar).

I ran into someone (not literally) – I got in. Even scored an extra ticket for another friend of mine.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTVAnother time I took a chance was when I bought my car. I bought my car with money I borrowed, seeing it for the first time 5 minutes before I bought it and drove it for the first time after I bought it. And while the guy I bought it from was safely on his way home to Scotland with my hard earned borrowed money, I got stuck on the way home. ‘s true as bob.

Three weeks later I was very happy when I actually got my car, but that three weeks also led to a lot of philosophizing about taking chances. But it turned out alright, one of my best decisions ever I think. But potentially it could have been one of my worst.

So what has all this taught me? Fucked if I know. Go ask someone who doesn’t argue with himself.

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply