BootsnAll Travel Network



Landlocked

So visiting friends is a completely different type of travel to backpacking. I don’t interact much with the locals because here in the countryside, besides the language barrierĀ there isn’t much mense walking around in the first place.

I don’t feel like walking around much either because the lack of pavements discourages one from walking. (For any rural Swiss people reading this, pavements are those pieces of ground on the sides of the road suitable for pedestrians).

Anyways, this leaves me with a lot of answered questions. Like this shutter thing. All the joints have shutters, which I imagine is great for a bit of extra warmth in winter but I can’t for the life of me figure out how they should be employed in summer.

I’ve been watching the houses and seeing the shutters shut and open on the houses and trying to correlate that with position of the sun, time of day, people in the room, direction of the wind and other factors but I still can’t figure out the logic.

There must be some reason why they keep opening and closing them. I just can’t fathom why dark rooms would be a bonus at any time during the summer. Maybe I’m just too African to figure this one out.

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply