BootsnAll Travel Network



Good View Island

Six hours later (most of which I slept) and I am on Boa Vista Island. I must say, this is more like it! It lives up to its name and has the harbour to the left, nice small city next to it, a small island just in front of it, some hills or mountains in the rear and a ridiculously long gorgeous stretch of beach off to the left bordered by sand dunes.

Boa Vista only has 3000 people and they’re all in this city, the rest of the island is unspoilt. Not that I’ll have much time to explore the further reaches with all the fishing we’re doing. Not that we’re catching much fish and that’s really sucks because it means we have to spend money on buying fish. Luckily, fish is cheaper on this island but is also the same price as a kilo of tomatoes or potatoes or an hour of internet (i.e. 3 Euro). 

We also managed to rent a tiny local fishing boat for quite cheap because our dinghy is too small. The first day we were here we tried to go four in it to the beach and turned around after 50 meters because the dinghy was converting into a submarine. So we went to the city, rented the boat and off we went fishing like little boys. The first time we went fishing we caught nothing and had to be towed back by fisherman because the motor died on us (we’re using our own motor).

I wasn’t too worried but realised during discussions afterwards that if the fishermen weren’t there we might have ended up adrift in the ocean discussing which body parts would be good to eat.

Anyway, the next day we were sure we knew where to go and set off into the very ocean we had to stalled in the day before. We caught very little fish (only one worth eating) and were very far out. I only realised when it took us so long to get back. Luckily the engine didn’t quit on us.

Tomorrow we try fishing off the small island in the bay. I’m starting to realise why the fishermen in the small villages are never fat – its because there’s never enough fish to feed you all the time. That’s my theory anyway and I’m sticking to it never mind all the different types of freshly caught fish in the market.

Tags: , ,



2 Responses to “Good View Island”

  1. Carol Says:

    Hello again – just back from a week near Kruger Park, where there are Zebra’s not zulu’s on your stoep. I wore a watch for the first time today – you get up with the sun, eat when you are hungry and go to bed before the lions get you. I had a wonderful week, and you are living this as LIFE. enjoy enjoy enjoy and don’t worry – when you are really hungry the fish will bite. until next time.
    C.

  2. tauriq Says:

    Yo Yo…..

    been such a long time guy…good to finally find this link,just added it to my fav..otherwise im stoked to catch up on your blogs…feels like its been toooo long guy.
    Me and my side,still doin the BoE thing,running some projects for them,still rockin the beemer and scrambler and just keeping it together i guess…we doin some nice stuff on weekends,Sat we had our first listerns circle….6 of us research a jazz artist then do a short presentation and then play the song…3 then chow(cooked by host) then 3 again…pretty cool…Sunday was margies bday which was nice,otherthan that im all good i suppose….i’ve relinquished my title – that being of the minister of all things foreign – heheheh. so ya still single and just living i guess….work is cooking so that kinda keeps me outta trouble….
    good to hear you doing well and living the dream guy…the fish…they’ll come,they just teasing you guy….
    is your cell num still in operation or is the medium ?
    leme know
    nuff respect bru…missing you out here!!
    tauriq

Leave a Reply