BootsnAll Travel Network



Going South to Europe

I’m in Essaouira now which in down the coast in south of Morocco. Known for windsurfing but I’m here of course for the music festival. Ironically I’ve moved further away from Europe but this place is more European than the North. Apparently the south is like that – a European version of what I’ve been seeing.

It’s kind of expensive here and the ‘cheap’ place I’m staying at is twice as expensive as the other places I’ve been. Still pretty cheap compared to other countries though. Anyway, you have to see this spot. Its affectionately called The Cave but to me it’s more like catacombs painted blue. A creative real estate agent would market it as: “A cosy little hideaway in the old medina of Essaouria, close to the heart of the city. Open plan with lots of character and colour.”

If you actually pay attention to what my plans were, I was supposed to work my way slowly down the coast to where I am now. What happened was that I got stuck in Mehdia because I was enjoying myself, but a bra there knew a bra and I managed to get a lift with a very Cape Town looking ou straight down to Essaouira. The guy didn’t speak English so it was a very contemplative drive. Nonetheless, he was cool and we overnighted with some cool brasse of his in Marrakesh on the way down.

When I got here I had the number of another bra, Kabir, that someone had given me, and I phoned him and he hooked me up with a bed in the Cave. The vibe in the Cave seems cool – I’m meeting the other mense later. It’s kinda weird living dorm-style again after having a room to myself for so long.

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply