BootsnAll Travel Network



Capital

Actually Praia is the capital on the other side of Sathiago island. I’m in Tarrafel which is a smaller but more beautiful city. Unlike Sal and Boa Vista, which looked like someone spat some houses along with some fishermen and tourists onto the land, this place actually has some life. The drive from Tarrafel to Praia is nothing short of fantastic. The driver motor’s along the cobblestoned mountain roads passing villages, incredible views and stunning peaks.

I meant to take a local ferry to get here from Boa Vista but a family I knew from Dakar offered me a ride on their boat. There wasn’t much wind so we took quite long for this distance but it was a cool trip nonetheless. They even caught a 9kg fish just before we reached land. Just in time for an arrival lunch.

It’s fun though being a landlubber again and back on the backpacking scene, even though that’s rare here. I forgot how much I missed my independence. Boats are cool (and cheap to live on) but it also hampers you in other ways. I’m supposed to start thinking about getting back home now but it seems like I’ve just recently started travelling again.

And now that I think about it, somewhere along the way I was supposed to think up a way to keep travelling infinitely but I must have forgotten to do that because apparently I can’t go on travelling forever. Or so it seems.

Tags: , ,



4 Responses to “Capital”

  1. Waleed Says:

    Hey Sailor!!!

    Howzit buddy?? Sorry I haven’t poked my nose in here for a while. Boy but you have been away travelling and reaching destinations that we “ordinary” folk can just dream of.

    I so much would like to travel but inshallah I may just do so. I’m very fascinated with Japan at the moment the only thing worrying me is what I want to eat and will it be that what I thought it is, damn my little Japanese wont help me in that situation I know they eat all the weird things over there. India also looks like it will be a worth a visit but I duno I guess i will have to spin the globe as the Dr did in the movie: Last King of Scotland. “First place I land I go! I wonder If I’ll be so “lucky” to land my finger on Kampala Uganda heee. With my luck I’ll probably land my finger on our country if I do a round of spin the globe.

    My calculations tell me that it can be close on a year since you’ve gone on your trek?

    Saionara

    Waleed

  2. admin Says:

    Between India and Japan, I’d definitely go for India. Japan interests me too but its just way too expensive. Don’t worry about eating, just carry a cooker and some instant noodles in your bag just in case.

    But if you’re thinking India, it’s kinda overdone. Sri Lanka seems to be the better option now. Check it out.

  3. Posted from Mozambique Mozambique
  4. Waleed Says:

    I still cannot believe that you can pay $200 US for a plate of seafood in Japan. The presenter of BBC food was doing treks around Japan and sampling all their food. Judging her facial expressions some food really didnt sit well with her and she politely dumped some of the food cause she just couldnt handle it. (How emabarrasing that must be). A Rum and Raisin sandwich may sound lekker if you are someone that likes alcohol but on a Sandwich? It’s mind blowing how expensive the food can become $200 is just a “basic” price. At one restaurant you catch your own Eel and eat it – very appertising! The food names in Japanese all sound so scrumptious “sushi, imiyaki, ek soekie kaki etc but the way this BBC presenter pulled her face paints another picture sy het vir haar lekker vas geloop met die Rum en Raisin sandwich heeee. Ek wonder of sy nie ook magwerkings gehad het nie? I was impressed with the string of vending machines on the street corners, wow something that they can never dream of doing here. You had a choice of several Energy drinks, Green tea’s, Green Ice cream as well and brands of Vitamin drinks the likes of which we may never seem here.

    Sri Lanka – only thing I know is the cricket team that we are playing today in the world cup and that dude with the evil eyes…Muralithantktjtwkjwqwqnwnirn shit they have weird names. One of my Aunt’s friends went to work there many years ago, I could never understand why specifically there?

  5. Vernon Yadon Says:

    Hey there! I would like to say that I like your entire publishing style and that so I want to visit this blog continually from now on 🙂 Keep it up!

  6. Posted from Indonesia Indonesia

Leave a Reply