BootsnAll Travel Network



KL to Seoul, Korea

The alarm clock is ringing, it is 430 am and it is time to get up and get ready to head to the airport.  Clara had gotten in at like 330am and said she wanted one hour of sleep before we had to go to the airport.  She had been up all night partying with British Laura dancing the night away.  So we finally got our stuff together and then went to check out.  The guy told us he would bargain with the cabbies across the street to get us a good price to the airport.  The airport was approximately 57 kilometres.  The guy came back and said that one cabbie wanted 110 MR.  I said hell no, I won’t pay more than 80 for the two of us, because it is well known that 80 is a ripoff it itself, but at 530am I wasn’t exactly in the best bargaining position.  The manager then came back and said he found a cabbie who would do it for 80 MR, but was not liking it.  I said fine, that’s what Clara and I would have paid anyway to do it by cab to the train station then train for both of us.

On our way to the airport we saw a massive car fire on the side of the road.  So big the cab driver pulled over to watch it and then suddenly some pedestrian on the side of the road came knocking on our window feverishly screaming something in Malaysian and then our cab driver said ok ok and drove off.  I managed to get a few pictures as I always have my camera at my side (thanks TV 55 for that one).

We finally arrived at the airport and found our way to where Clara had left her bags for the time she spent in KL.  Then it was time to check in.  Now I like checking in early just to make sure I get an aisle seat and that everything is kosher.  I have tickets for all my flights but no seats, due to the fact that my ticket is such a low fare class and restricted ticket they don’t give me any priorities.  I was lucky once again and got an aisle seat in the emergency row.  Probably the best seat in economy as you get ample leg room and can really stretch out to enjoy yourself.  The flight was going to take like 3.5 hours to get from KL to Seoul, Korea.  I was flying Malaysian Airlines, one of the best airlines in the world (of course most Americans have never heard of this airline).  I got a choice of about 100 different movie and television stations on demand.  Unlike most airlines where every movie starts at once and has to wait till all of them ends to start a new one, this airline gives it to you when you want and how you want it.  It was amazing.  I watched King of Queens, a few episodes of House (what a great show, Hugh Laurie is the man) and before I knew it I was there.  We got fed great for such a relatively short flight.  These Asian airlines really take good care of all their passengers, not just the first class ones.

We arrived in Seoul at about 6PM.  I had to connect flights in Hong Kong en route to Seoul, my only non direct flight of the trip, discounting my new return ticket home to New York stopping in Kuwait for three hours.

The connecting flight went smoothly, they had a sign with my name on it directing me to the right counter to check in and get to my flight on time, also my luggage was checked all the way to Seoul.  I would never expect nor trust any American run airline to give you that attention and put in the effort Cathay Pacific and Malaysian airlines did to get me to my next flight.  An American run airline would just tell us on the loud speaker where to go, but really not do much after that.  This was excellent.

My stopover was only 2 hours so I had to rush a little but not much.  You never know how security and the lines will be, but since I was connecting, I was able to jump the queue and check in right away, and with no luggage everything was fine.  I got an aisle once again, but this time I got all four seats in the middle to myself!!!! In Australia one time flying I got three seats, but never four!  It was amazing.  I sprawled out, enjoyed the movies and the flight entertainment and coasted to Seoul.

Again we arrived in Seoul at about 6PM.  There was a one hour time change from KL to Seoul, but nothing major.  Just another day, another dollar.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *