BootsnAll Travel Network



June 11th, 12th, 13th, 2008 – Shimla, India

This last few days really haven’t been exciting.  What do you expect when you are staying in a small hill station at the foothills of the Himalayas.  So with that said I am skipping to

June 12th –

Today there was a mandatory trip to a Tibetan Monastery about 25 minutes from our Hotel or about 5 kilometers.  We were led by Tensen who runs the Tibetan shop I bought all my goodies from last week.  The purpose was to get acquainted with Buddhism before going to Dharmasala which is like little tibet and where the tibetan government sits in exile.

So when we got there we saw the monks practicing for the big dance that was going to take place the next day.  We walked around the temple, and it was fantastic.  You know, I love Buddhism for the bright colors and presentation.  Every buddhist temple I have been too has been so colorful and has yet to disappoint and this one was no different. 

After touring one temple we went to another part of the monastery to see other parts.  There were younger monks practicing for the big suare in this room as well, and as Tensen boringly explained what some of the buddha’s represented I was snapping away with my camera.

After the monastery and taking numerous pictures of the monks doing a practice rendition of the dance, minus the colorful outfits and presentations, Tensen took us to the carpet factory where they make tibetan carpets using old wooden handlooms.  aaaachuu sweatshop echem.  Nonetheless it didn’t stop me from buying a small little rug for my room or bathroom as well as a handwoven tibetan flay which explains in both tibetan and english the different parts of the tibetan flag.

When we got back to the hotel, Cait and I quickly changed in to more appropriate outfits as Professor Krishnan’s friend would be arriving.  I put on my local attire from head to toe and was looking sharp.  When we got in to the lounge area of the hotel we introduced ourselves to Raj and started chatting.  After a few minutes Professor Krishnan asked us if we wanted something to drink.  Now I didn’t want to drink because Cait and I had our International Law presentation the next day and wanted to do some preparation.  I looked at Cait she said “i’m getting a beer” so envitably this meant I was getting a beer myself, and then the night began.  Cait, I, Professor Krishnan and Raj sat in the lounge area from roughly 5pm till we all went to dinner which was roughly 9pm.  Throughout the time in the lounge, many drinks were consumed by all and by the end of our time in the lounge just about the whole group had visited and was in the lounge chatting it up and having a good time.  This was the first time during the whole trip everyone was being social, hanging out and having a good time!  It was a great night had by all.

June 13th –

Today I woke up early as Cait got up early to prepare for the presentation.  I was like screw it, I prepare after I wake up and take a shower.  I was real tired after a long but extremely fun night.  I eventually got up, took a shower and started to put together my portion of the presentation. 

During my first class I couldn’t really prepare as Raj was giving his presentation about the new Global Law School he was starting with the help of 100 million dollars from steel Mogul O.P. Jindal.  Don’t feel bad for Mr. Jindal, he has over 10 billion dollars, and yes he only donated 1% of his total wealth, that’s like me throwing you five bucks!

Anyway I was able to put together a successful presentation which Cait and I did a fantastic job according to Professor Blumenson.  Apparently at lunch he was raving to Cait about it, and we felt awesome as we hadn’t really put that much time in, and nonetheless it totally rocked!

So after our last class I had to start to put together and write my final exam for one of my one credit classes which ended today.  It took me only a few hours to prepare and seventy minutes to write (within the prescribed time allotted of course).  So I am extremely happy to be done with that class, yet said as Jay Krishnan is probably one of the best professors I have ever had.  You know you get that one great professor it seems once throughout each level of education and right now Jay Krishnan is fighting with Eileen Kaufman for top honors in my law school career.

So here I am like most days, typing away from Cyberia, the same slow ass internet cafe I go to virtually everyday.  I like the guy so I keep coming back even though there are other places which has substantially faster internet connections.

Tonight I think most people are going to celebrate the culmination of one class and the freedom of the weekend.  Unfortunately it won’t be all fun and games this weekend as our last class begins monday or wednesday and there is a lot of reading to do!



Tags:

One response to “June 11th, 12th, 13th, 2008 – Shimla, India”

  1. Madhu says:

    Looks like you are having a good time in India. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

    -Madhu

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *