BootsnAll Travel Network



Daily thoughts

today’s daily thought brings me to the world of riding on a bus. I ride the bus almost every day during the week to class and back. I encounter many different types of people, a wide array of ethnicities and race. It seems to me that regardless of race or ethnicity, people think it is OK to use their cell phone on a bus, or any other mode of public transportation for that matter.

To those people out there: IT IS NOT OK TO USE YOUR CELL PHONE on public transportation unless someone is dying, dead, deathly ill in need of immediate medical assistance, you are being mugged, robbed, beat up or assaulted. texting or SMS (short messaging service) is fine, but if your phone beeps, rings, sings, or makes a loud annoying noise, please turn it on to vibrate. I can promise you that no one on that bus cares about which ring tone you have, I know I don’t. But in general texting is fine as long as your phone is silent.

About two weeks ago I was on the bus at night, clearly end of the work day, everyone was tired, listening to their musical device (cd player, MP3 player, IPod whatever). I got on the bus and casually slipped my in my ear buds attached to my iriver h10 20 gb music jukebox (I am very anti apple). This wahoo girl gets on the bus and just starts yapping it up. Now normally when someone uses their phone on the bus, it’s for a second or two, a quick hi, hello, I’m on the bus, I can’t talk. Unfortunately this was not the case. This girl went on and on and on. At one point I caught about five people giving her the worst glare ever. Evil eye like you cannot believe. She either didn’t care or didn’t notice. The funny thing is that she was getting pretty personal. Talking about her first baby’s daddy and hoping he’ll buy her this and that.

When all of this was going on, on my rather short bus ride home that night (10 minutes or more depending on traffic lights and who gets off at what stop), I had my headphones on and was listening to music and still heard her annoying, high pitched voice. It was terrible.

So for all you cell phone users out there, remember when on the public transportation, please refrain from using it, unless it falls under one of my aforementioned categories, and any other which will have an immediate effect on your life or the lives of others.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *