BootsnAll Travel Network



TARANAKI ROAD TRIP

On Friday we left in a rental car and headed up to New Plymouth, stopping at a beach outside Paraparaumu to have lunch. Friday night, Denmark (Camilla) convinced America (me) to declare war on Singapore (Jency) while Germany (Stephanie) stayed neutral. And we said goodnight to each other by saying,

“Goodnight, Denmark, goodnight, Singapore, goodnight, Germany.”

“Goodnight, America, goodnight, Singapore, goodnight, Germany,” and so on.

Saturday, we got lost in a rainforest (on the side of Mt. Taranaki), and almost lost Jency in the mud and then again in the river, and then again in the mud. A would be one hour walk turned into four, and we discovered after we’d decided to turn back for fear of spending the night in a rainforest on the side of a volcano, that we had gotten lost at the very start of the trail when one sign pointed left saying “Ngatoto Track” and the other pointed right saying “Ngatoto Walk.”

Saturday night we made fun of Broken Arrow, with John Travolta, in a hostel on the Wanganui River.

On Sunday, we took another wrong turn while looking for Kai Iwi Beach and found the most beautiful, deserted beach on the planet, and I drove on the left side of the road from Levin past Paraparaumu. And we just barely made it back to the rental place in time.

So what did you do this weekend?

Updates: 1 german has pulled out of going to Beachcomber, and 2 Italians have jumped aboard. Our girls week is now a guys week. 1 german, 1 canadian, and 2 italian guys, 1 german, 1 american, and 1 singaporean girl.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *