BootsnAll Travel Network



No Regrets

You know what I just remembered? Why I wanted to go to New Zealand, or at least how the idea got in my head. After so many people asked me and I didn’t have an answer, I finally remembered. I was looking into work holiday visas way back when I got back from Costa Rica and had first contracted the travel bug. I was thinking… could I go to Britain for a summer through BUNAC, how bout Australia or New Zealand. I decided I’d wait till I graduated from college. But I couldn’t wait. I saw an opportunity to study in New Zealand and took it without a second thought!

———

Real quick, I would like to say THANK YOU to all the people out there who for some reason still love me even though I leave them for months or even years at a time. I love you, and miss you, and am so glad I have you!

———

I had dinner last night in the hotel restaurant. Normally I don’t like to do that, but I wasn’t feeling well because I hadn’t eaten. In fact, I haven’t eaten tea since my first night in Sydney with Camilla. It’s simply been too hot. So last night I had fried morning glory with rice. It was very good, but having cooked so many bland meals for myself over the past few months in order to save money on spices, I am no longer accustomed to spicy food. I’m seriously out of practice!

Also, yesterday I had to make a call to the hostel where I had been staying in Sydney, because I unfortunately accidently left my hikers, I mean hiking boots (where the hell did that come from…? Some kind of spinnoff on trainers?). Clive, that nice guy is sending me my boots! I asked him if there was a way I could pay for the shipping.

“In prayer.”

“What?”

“Prayer. That’s p-r-a-y-epsilon-roger.”

Great guy!

And today, I sit here waiting to see Corpes Bride, which I really hope has not been dubbed over in Thai. I figure I should share what hit me today. I still stand on the pollution bit, however…. I think I have discovered something wonderful about Thailand. My initial dislike for the westernization was somewhat unfounded. Yes, the culture is being dominated by western styles, western ideals of beauty and such, but Thailand holds its own. Thailand is a mixing pot of many cultures throughout Asia and the world. The Thais, from what I can gather seem to be very accepting, curious people interested in integrating other cultures into their own. In this way I am reminded of home, and Bangkok seems almost familiar, something I did not expect. As long as you can get past the blinding concrete edifices, into clearer air, you can find some wonderful things.

I was starting to suspect this when at the Grand Palace, I overheard one of the English speaking guides saying, “and this is Chinese tile with Cambodian design.” Bangkok is a cosmopolitan centre, a melting pot, and I say kudos to that, couldn’t be more pleased.

But I am still glad to be leaving, not because of any disappointment, but because I will finally be going home.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *