BootsnAll Travel Network



Finally the Real Thailand and the Usual Me

Alright, I’m back on my feet with the quickest recovery I ever made, and I think I will now provide you with the sane, fair version of what I think of Bangkok, and how it’s been so far. Thank you Coll. I agree entirely!

So yes, when I arrived, I was bloody lonely! You would be too if you were an environmentalist travelling more or less alone for 5 months in a country with a sky clearer than any you’ve ever seen, had to say goodbye to friends you made, only to arrive in a foreign, polluted city entirely alone. So excuse me if I got a bit emotional; I’m only human. My sanity does not change my distaste for the smog, however. It really is unlike anything I’ve ever seen in my life, and I wouldn’t mind if someone, myself included would take the initiative to make it go away. Personally I find it VERY disturbing to be unable to see the boundaries of clouds! This, I will never stop complaining about! And I also find it very disturbing that my own culture seems to be one of those that is taking over the rest of the world, as evidenced by the countless billboards portraying western ideals of beauty. Thailand has a lot to offer, I’m sure! I am UNBELIEVABLY grateful to have the opportunity and desire to do what I am doing. But I am not perfect.

My first day, I walked, which in hind-site after reading what the guide book says about walking around Bangkok was not the best activity for the first day. I found the tall, blank, concrete buildings in my part of town containing between them eight or so lanes of traffic, and trapped heat and fumes very uncomfortable.

The market the next day was much better.

Today I actually felt good. I had fun. I got out and explored, which happens to be my absolute favorite pasttime. The bellboy at the hotel warned me I should wear closed shoes and a shirt that covers my shoulders. Another of the employees at the hotel hailed a taxi for me to go to the Grand Palace. The driver was a very friendly man. It did take a lot for me to understand that he was demanding 40 u. for the toll onto the highway, but all was well.

“I speak English. Little bit.” He held up his fingers.

“What you call this?”

“A ticket.”

“Where you from?”

“The US.”

“Huh?”

“The US.”

“Huh?”

“America.”

“Oh! America!”

“America. England.” He alternated his hands in the air.

“They’re different?”

“Yes. England underground. America subway. Same thing.”

“Ah, yeah, different names.”

“Yes. England underground. America subway. Same thing.”

“Yeah. It’s difficult for me too.”

He dropped me off at the Palace, wished me luck on my travels, and advised me to only take meter taxis. He communicated as best he could that if I was offered a ride for a set fee, to not take it, only meter taxis. I have to say I’m greatful for is advice. As I entered the gates, I was wowed… in a good way! It was beautiful, a bit busy for my taste with all the incredibly vivid colors, but it was incredible! Humbling! Yet another thing I have never before seen! I have nothing comporable in my repertoire to describe it.

After strolling in awe through the Palace grounds, I headed off for a walk of the city, since this part of town seemed MUCH more tollerable with buildings that let in the freshest air the city has to offer. I walked down to the river, which I have to say isn’t clean either, but isn’t much more polluted than the Potomac used to be, or should I say still is. It was the cultural experience I was looking for, not the concrete jungle trying to copy and cater to the white-man. I couldn’t understand a word here; it was wonderful! I crossed the Thammasat University campus and found Khlong Lord (a street with a canal down the middle). I stopped to ask with my best sign language as an accompaniment to my English, what time it was. He held up his wrist. I nodded a thank you as they seem to do here. I could get used to that!

As I was trying to cross the street a wonderful Thai woman came up next to me and began speaking to me. I had absolutely no clue what she was saying, and I told her so in English. She kept speaking, and smiling at me, and waved to the other side of the street. I looked away, and when I looked back, she was walking into the road, and waving behind her for me to follow. She was guiding me across, and then she disappeared around the corner without looking back. I had recently discovered a trick to crossing the street, wait for a local and follow as he crosses. But this woman, showed me how to cross by myself, without a word of understanding between us. So I walked on a little more confident and actually pleased I had come to Bangkok. I walked past rows of shops, almost entirely military clothing outfitters with dozens of combat boots resting out front, and camo hanging from the cieling and walls, or stores that sold guitars, each with a young man playing.

I came across a Wat, Wat Ratchabophit I believe. It was about as grand as the Palace, and much less touristy, in fact it was almost empty. As I walked around the grounds, I saw the largest rat I have ever seen. New York can’t even compete, it was great!

As I continued to walk, came across a peacefull political demonstration blocking the sidewalk. It was mostly older people.

I asked a woman, as usual accompanied with some sign language, “what is this?”

She went through the group trying to get one of the men to speak to me and explain. The first two were shy, but the guy with the microphone came up to me and began speaking into the microphone. I didn’t entirely understand. But they quickly became very interested in me. One man offered me a scarf with whatever it was their banners said written across it. I didn’t accept though I would have liked to. I didn’t want to advertise anything political in a country where I know nothing about the politics. Some other tourists from I can only guess Japan, began taking pictures of me with the demonstrators. One woman began tugging at my shirt sleeves which I had rolled up in the heat. “This is the Department of the Interior. We want to show respect.”

“Oh! ok” I rolled them down. They continued their demonstrations and the tourists continued their picture taking and I slipped out and on my way.

I soon found a park, and as I walked over a bridge that spanned a pond coated green with algea, it occured to me that it may be hard to breathe in parts of Bangkok, but overall the city is far less smelly than New York. I figured after that, I’d do my best to hail a cab. It was wonderful to have airconditioning, and it was wonderful to be able to say I pulled myself out of my funk with the help of some very nice, very friendly Thais, and although I couldn’t stay here too long just as I couldn’t stay anywhere urban for too long, I am enjoying myself.

Almost exactly one week till I get home, get to see the people I love, and get to start planning the next trip!



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “Finally the Real Thailand and the Usual Me”

  1. Mum says:

    Oh Hun,

    I’m sooooo glad you’re back to having a good time. You sound like yourself again!
    Lots of love, Mum

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *