BootsnAll Travel Network



Feeling Better

EDIT: Alright, the following was said not entirely fairly. For a better description of Thailand, visit this page: Finally the Real Thailand and the Usual Me, Last Day in Bangkok, Bangkok Visuals: the Part I Liked, Bangkok Visuals: the Part I Didn’t Like.

Well I just signed on to find that I have a comment from someone very mature by the name of “spanky” who spends his spare time leaving messages like this, telling me to grow up. I love it!

Anyway, today I got out, took the train down to Mo Chit station where JJ market is. I walked around for a few hours spending more money than I would have liked, but I got to do something I love… haggle. It began to rain sheets, so I sat down on a cool stone bench to wait it out. As I was sitting, I had a chance to reassess Bangkok with a less emotional state of mind. I came to realise that I’ve spent too long in clean, green, empty New Zealand, so Bangkok is a hell of a shock. I still think it is far too polluted, and can still barely stand it! But maybe it’s not hell, just purgatory.



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Feeling Better”

  1. coll says:

    Darlin, I hate to say it but you could have the same experience in almost any city around the world… Sydney has needle-filled streets and London’s smog can make the person next you you disapear sometimes, but turn a corner and you can discover so much. And PLEASE dont let it leave you with a bad taste for Thailand!

    Take a day trip to see beautiful Khlong Bangkok Noi or some of the city’s phenomenal temples. Or get out of Bangkok and see beautiful ruins in Ayuthaya only a bus trip away. Spend more than 4 days in that country and do anything other than pine after drunken tourists and you will not be able to do anything but fall in love with the people and their ancient towns, no matter how poor and non-western they are on the eye.

    We dont travel to experience places just like home, and that culture shock, out-of-comfort-zone feeling is the greatest adrenaline rush you can get!! It is very often the making of us. Hope your trip does get better, take care and celibrate strange and dirty and different if it comes your way!! xx

  2. Mum says:

    Well said Coll.

    Hi Hun,

    I think you’re having a mixture of withdraw and homesickness. Stay in the moment and make the most of what you have there. Few people get the opportunity to do what you are doing and many people here envy you (including me) and admire your adventerousness so let it shine through.
    Luv, Mum

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *