BootsnAll Travel Network



“The beach” the beach

Today is my last day on Phi Phi as I’m growing tired of the tourists here. Tomorrow morning I will take the boat to Krabi and plan to do some rock climbing on neighboring Railay and Tonsai beaches.Today me and a young Aussie kid hired a long boat to tour around the islands. It was nice to get some perspective on how big, or small rather, these islands are. The main island where people stay is Phi Phi Don. Just south is the uninhabited island of Phi Phi Ley. This is the notorious “Beach” filming location. I finally saw this movie last night since it plays daily in half the bars here. To see this famed beach in person was disappointing as it’s been overrun with boats and tourists. I wish I hadn’t gone at all, now. It is a beautiful spot though and really the only hospitable place on this craggy island. A white sand beach sits protected by a coral filled cove. Coral that is half-dead or dying from the unaware snorkelers and boat gypsies out to make a buck. The main inhabitants of this island, the swifts, can’t seem to escape the commerce of southern Thailand either. Their nests have a reputation as an aphrodisiac and are harvested or poached to be made into an extremely expensive soup. Why? Because swifts keeps it up…in the air…their lives, that is…all day. Hmmm.

I will be glad to get off Phi Phi tomorrow. To continue the journey and find something new. That’s what it’s all about.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *