BootsnAll Travel Network



Grishams and Graftons

I can see why people get lost on the beaches of southern Thailand. There is something here for everyone. There are parties for the partier, beer aplenty and cheap, white sand beaches, food to die for, and everyone has that healthy glow of a happy life under the sun. Even the Thais, who’s situation isn’t so privileged, are always smiling, although sometimes I think they’re smiling about the silly tourists. But otherwise, life just seems to stop on these islands. The rest of the world could be gone, and it wouldn’t matter because we are in this beautiful place.

A stroll through the paperback vendors yields clues of the people that have past through. Of course there are Grishams and Graftons, Kings and Koonsts, but more alluring are the random textbooks. The complete works of Neitze scattered among the classics, a biology book, law theory, remnants of lives left here on Phi Phi Island, albeit unlikely. Could the routine spring break trip have turned into a prolonged break? Or could others just not stand going back to the daily grind of the office? Are the dropouts, the prematurely retired, and the wanderers still out here on the Andaman coast, soaking up the slow life, still avoiding their books and the everyday hustle? Perhaps.

I will leave no books on Phi Phi, buy no souvenirs. My pack will stay the same as I prepare to depart from this beautiful place that everyone has found.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *