BootsnAll Travel Network



The American dream comes home to roost

The American dream is alive and thriving well…in America. We have successfully exported our hamburgers, blue jeans, and fizzy drinks around the globe, and now there appear to be very few Americans out and about enjoying all of the delicious, calorie-packed treats that were just too good not to share with the rest of the world. In my first week in Thailand, I met only one other American, a 59 year old woman who lives in India and is seeking zen enlightenment. She is the extreme example of the traveler who is searching for something entirely un-american, and giving her soul a cleansing that would make John Lennon proud in the process.But why less Americans in Thailand? The Europeans have come in droves, the Israelis by the planeload, with a sprinkling of Brits, Canadians, and Aussies thrown in for good measure. To be fair, I’ve met quite a few Americans in the past couple of days who were really cool, but I still can’t shake the question of why the differences in numbers are so drastically different. Is it that America is just so spectacular and wealthy that no one wants to leave? Anyone who has either been to Kansas or East St. Louis will know that the answer to this question is, no. Is it that Americans prefer a safer, cleaner packaged holiday confined to destinations like Waikiki, Cabo San Lucas, or Orlando? Perhaps. Or is this part of the larger trend I’ve been witnessing, and process by which the U.S. is becoming more insular, physically and mentally? It is this close-minded nature that has convinced us that two years of a foreign language is sufficient and “Bomb their ass and take the gas” is a perfectly acceptable statement to adorn the back of your Chevy pickup.

I, myself, am embarrassed by the recent actions of the U.S. and usually say I’m from Oregon, not America, and only when asked. I’m seeking to mend fences one person at a time with respect for other cultures, perhaps a few sentences of Thai, and a smile. On the plane to Phuket I explained to the man sitting next to me my plan for long term, prolonged travel through teaching and rafting, to which he replied “what are you running from?” I thought it was a silly question at first. The smart-ass type of thing you say to young idealistic types like me. And I gave the typical idealistic response that I’m not running from anything, I am running towards everything. But the question has stuck in my head and I’ve decided that I am running from my guilt. That irrational, unchangeable guilt from the actions of my country. So I am running in a circle, really; running from guilt and toward some ridiculous feeling of repentance that will afford me the best memories, experiences, and relationships of my life. All with a lighter heart.

This is my American dream.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *