BootsnAll Travel Network



Bored of the Beach

I spent one night in Krabi awaiting my transit to Khao Sok National Park. I’m happy I did as it’s a nice little coastal town that is both comfortable for travelers and rich in Thai culture. I spent the night deciphering the thick French accent of Sebastian before getting politely shooed from the bar at 1am.

This morning I traveled to Khao Sok with the hope of finding a more mellow stop on what has turned out to be the seemingly inescapable tourist trail of Thailand. What better place to get lost than in the oldest Jungle of S.E. Asia?

Upon arrival, I quickly learned that this may actually be the oldest rain forest jungle in the world, no doubt a point of contention with central Africa and the Amazon region. Regardless, it is old and alive with beauty. Like much of the Andaman coast and the isthmus of Thailand, Khao Sok has steep limestone cliffs which appear to have exploded vertically out of the dense jungle below. This region is a geological marvel. The slow dance of coral, water, air and time have shaped this place into the tropical playground it is. Rising sea levels, ice ages, the uplift of continents, and the slow steady chemistry of rock have hollowed out intricate cave systems, some probably left undisturbed; lost among the trees. I am very happy here.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *